New Triumph Speed RS

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by TheRamJam, May 2, 2018.

1. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

@Mattie660 is the SP version worth the extra 4k more over the standard bike. The only differences being the fancy paint scheme, full colour TFT dash and electronic Ohlins suspension[/QUOTE]

For me I wanted an upgrade, so looked around at other bike prices for things like the BMW S1000R; S1000RR, new Gixer - upgrade material rather than just a new bike.

I saw the standard MT-10 as maybe a better bike than what I had, but just swapping similar bikes within the same price bracket.

I really wanted an upgrade, to move into the next bracket, with the Aprilia, BMW, KTM. Once I got used to that idea, then the MT-10 SP makes sense.

2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Whether Honda or Yamaha, the SP is more than just a few extras. Everyone knows that 'SP' stands for 'Special Prestige' and it is that what makes the bikes unique - not paint, TFT or Ohlins.;)

3. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Mt10 is a bit plasticy unfortunately, but at £9999 that was understandable. Thought they'd addressed the snatchy throttle for the latest bike though?

Tuono is incredible, it's probably faster than a blade in most people's hands (it's 2s a lap quicker round Donington on the Rutter test). Probably makes more bhp than the blade aswell knowing Hondas likeing for over egging their figures. It's not far enough removed from a sportsbike for what I want though. Excited for test ride on the RS tomorrow.

#23 CharlieR85, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
  4. TheRamJam

TheRamJam Well-Known Member

What year is your mates bike?

I have booked in for another go on it at MCS on Saturday. Yamaha fixed fuelling issue from the 16 model as the 18 model I rode feels very good and smooth at all rev ranges. The standard version now comes with a QS as standard and its very good even below 5k revs it works fine and in all gears.

I am very tempted to go for one, purely on fun factor alone. It sounds awesome too and I actually like look of the front end. Agreed, its not to everyone's cuppa and the non SP does feel a bit plasticy in places but at under 11k then I can accept that. Nothing that a few carbon parts can't fix :-0

5. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

His bike is the 17 model, to be fair he isn’t the best at looking after his bikes by that I mean cleaning it and the quality isn’t great and as far as I know he doesn’t ride in the winter? If I was buying I would only buy the SP as the standard model in one year will lose a lot of money imo.

6. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Test rode the RS today. Really enjoyed it, did about 170 miles on a variety of roads. Probably disagree with Ramjam that it's "nowhere near as fast as the blade". It's not geared up for the speeds the blade will do naturally... but it's got a much chunkier midrange and it does encourage you to keep shifting and ride the torque. I also bounced off the limiter once joining a motorway but that was early in the ride when I was still holding the gears as I would on the blade. Once I'd got used to shifting a bit earlier I never troubled the limiter again. The speeds stayed much more sensible because of the wind blast which was so nice. Kept finding myself grinning like mad having great fun then looking down to see the speed and thinking "is that all!?!?" Makes a change from looking down and thinking "holy shit I've got to be careful here."

The soundtrack from the triple is fantastic, the arrow cans are such a nice balance... not obnoxious but still a nice note.

Display is very good but the auto contrast is crap as it keeps jumping round when you go under trees. You can turn it off though and just leave it on daytime. I didn't find a way to put it into night colours permenantly because they are the better colours.

Self cancelling indicators with lane changing was a bit crap, I turned them off and just changed the mode to manual.

I didn't change the riding mode, I left it in sport. The 2 modes above this (track and user) were locked out.

The seat wasn't as comfortable as I'd hoped. Did find it a bit small and found myself either crushed up against the tank or sitting half on the back seat.

Keyless ignition I found fine, but why they've left the fuel cap as keyed is ridiculous. You tuck the key away in your jacket but you still need to dig it out to fuel up! I'd have to put a racing cap on that to make it a truly keyless bike.

Suspension and handling were excellent. Perhaps would have liked it a bit softer as standard.

Fuel economy was excellent, gave it a bloody good thrashing and it still returned 46+. Only downfall is its quite a small tank at 15.5l so you'll be looking at 140-160 tank range.

Next test.... MT10!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

170 miles? That's some test!

Good review though. Nice looking bike too.

8. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Short ride for me that Nige . I was surprised when they told me to take it out all day though, I was expecting a few hours. BMW are similar, they want you to spend a good amount of time on it. You can't learn much about a bike in an hour.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Cheers Charlie. I am 'old school' from the days when dealers let you ride 'around the block' and thought they were doing US a favour!!

I didn't test the 2018 before buying my SP2 - I just knew I wanted one. However, I just had no idea a dealer would allow a bike out for so long. I guess as the industry becomes more and more competitive, dealers are now more closely honed to customer service (except for Honda's ABS issues:rolleyes:) and believe the longer the test, the better the prospect of a sale.

10. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Honda were very strict about letting the blade out for an hour with me. It was quite nice to be able to get off the bike and have an hour off just looking at it over a sandwich. I actually contemplated taking it home to clean it hahahaha!!! I seem to notice most details on my bikes when I'm on my hands and knees cleaning them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. TheRamJam

Good write up on the RS @CharlieR85

Let us know what you think about the MT10. I've put a deposit down on one and am taking one out again tomorrow for a few hours.

• Like Like x 1
  12. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Yea will do! Did your dealership only have the MT10 for demo and not the SP?

13. TheRamJam

yeah sadly no MT 10 SP to demo. They did have an MT 09 SP to try but i said no ;-0

However they did have a 17 plate MT 10 SP for sale with 1800 miles on her and a 2/3 Austin Racing system fitted. The sound was incredible and the colour TFT dash looks the mutts nutts. I just can't stretch my budget to the £14250 asking price.

14. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

:(:(

15. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

@Mattie660 is there any chance you could do a real world fuel test for me please Mattie? Would like to know how many miles until the warning light comes on from a full tank and then how many litres it takes to get it back up to full. Thanks in advance! I don't care much for trip computers.

16. TheRamJam

@CharlieR85 have a look on you tube for Fast Bikes blogs by BJ on the MT-10. He does mention the fuelling being a bit poo. However that was cured by a 2/3 system, PC V, and a custom map at JHS. Which I assume most owners would do

17. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

You know I'm always trying to help you guys. This is what I use for a longer range:
    Back pack.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Jeez, that's another £1200. Don't think I could stomach that on top of the price of an SP. Hoping it will manage 140-160miles from a tank.

19. TheRamJam

To be fair he did have a 16 plate bike so there is bound to be some teething issues with it being a new model. I think the newer 17+ models have been improved somewhat so fuel economy may not be an issue now.

At the moment am looking at a Pipewerx 2/3 R11 system which is good value at £450 and looks good.

20. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Enjoy....

Attached Files: