New Triumph Speed RS

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by TheRamJam, May 2, 2018.

1. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

......they said from the Triumph press Launch.
    ......the nice picture is the MT-10 SP which is shown in full side profile, whilst the Triumph is cut in half
    ......all the nice component shots are of the MT-10 SP
    ......who gives a crap that the Triumph has an extra 1,000 revs
    ......I thought the whole point of Super Nakeds is that they are different to track bikes ( lower pegs on the MT-10 SP)

The real story is that the Super Naked category has a new contender - the Yamaha MT-10 in the lower price range, and the MT-10 SP in the upper price range - the established players in that sector now know it.

2. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Didn't meant it to upset you Mattie. Just a review for folk.

3. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Just to clarify, the extra 1000rpm is compared to the old triple and not to the MT. Think the MT revs higher.

4. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

I am not upset, at least not that upset :D

And good to post the review for everyone to read.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Not great, but this was like city riding - no motorways, virtually no constant speed - stop start gears 1,2,3.

• 17 litre tank filled
    • Did this 98.9 miles and then filled up with 14.02 litres. So there was still 3 litres in the tank after 98 miles.
    • When the fuel level gets to this level it blinks - so it started blinking at 93.5 miles

I hope you find this useful.

Screen Shot.png

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Wow, Mattie. That would pi** of a lot of Blade owners. I think most of us see the flash at about 150. I was mocked for showing an avg mpg of 52.6, but 34.9 - even in city? As Shania Twain sang: 'That don't impress me much.'

7. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

It is not good, admitted.

So there is a cost element - obviously uses more fuel which costs money. And there is a practicality element - will I be running out of fuel in the middle of nowhere.

The cost element is not such a big deal, as the bike is not used for commuting - a bit of transport and leisure.

Locally petrol stations are plentiful and within easy striking range - the chance or running out of petrol locally is 0%.
    Trips to France - petrol stations are common and shown on Sat Navs, open 24/7 across the country. Not really that bothered.

However, off to Spain in a couple of weeks time - to the MotoGP Catalunya. I have had issues in the past in Spain, off the beaten track in an empty country.

On the plus side any money spent on putting petrol in this thing is money well spent :D

• Like Like x 2
  8. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Thanks very much for that Mattie. That's about what I've heard from most reviews, between 30 and 40mpg.

9. dainesefreak

dainesefreak Senior Member

To be honest that's not much worse than my 17 Blade. Mixed riding including commuting I'm getting the petrol light at somewhere between 100-110 miles, usually at the lower end. Whereas the 15 Blade would do over around 120 before the light.

Psychologically I can cope with 100 and over, less than that puts me off a bike for some reason. o_O

10. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

11. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I am astounded at the difference the 'commute' makes to consumption. Was out on my 2018 today, and my trip meter is sitting on 145 - still with no fuel light. Granted, most of my miles are open road, save for town miles around Worcester or Stratford, but we are miles apart on consumption. I'm sure neither of us are pussies when it comes to grabbing handfuls, so the city riding must really knock it around.

Would be interested in hearing from @Ratser about Mrs Ratser's consumption. (Note: I do mean fuel, not the disease.:))

12. dgr

dgr Active Member

I'm getting just over 44mpg out of my 2017. The low fuel light usually comes on at around 120. Most of my miles are the 40 miles round trip to work and back on mostly open roads. I rarely get out of 4th gear though.

On another note, after the ECU remap trickling through town in mode 2 is fine where it was an unpleasant experience before and required a drop to mode 3 to make it bearable.

#52 dgr, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  13. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Agree with @dgr about the town riding. Mine is also rough/fluffy down low when I leave it in Mode 2. However, I tend to stick with my 1-1-3-M3 settings.

Back to fuel consumption though; I wonder if there might be an 'efficiency' difference between the 'standard' motor and the SP2? Interestingly, in the Honda Supersport brochure, Honda itself makes no claims, nor offers advice, about power, torque, fuel consumption and CO2 emissions for the SP2, whereas it DOES with EVERY other model in the brochure, right down to the CB125R.

Enthusiasts will know that the SP2 has larger valves, and set at a different angle, as well as forged pistons. Common sense dictates that larger valves on their own should make no difference, unless fuelling is set to INCREASE flow. However, there could be a case that this motor is more efficient and is therefore using less fuel to generate similar horsepower.

In the final analysis, only a dyno of the two bikes would reveal the full story. For me, a fascinating topic all the same!

14. Ratser

Ratser Well-Known Member

First time light came on it was after about 115 miles.
    Going to the TT down the motorway, I was at 130 miles before it came on.
    And after some 'spirited' riding over there, came on about 120.
    Definitely down on my own bike where no light until at least 135-140.
    Should say that it's not been off standard settings mode 1.

• Thanks Thanks x 1