New wheels/Correct fitment

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by morpheus20170, Apr 5, 2014.

1. morpheus20170

morpheus20170 Active Member

I have seen some new wheels but they are for an R1
    Can you please advise me if they will fit or can be made to fit?

2. scooby

scooby Elite Member

made to fit what? another R1 of the same yr,then yes.

3. morpheus20170

Sorry. 06 Fireblade

4. scooby

scooby Elite Member

anything can be made to fit,but,bearing size might need to be changed to accept the front spindlespacers to fit the fork gap,disc size and disc offset,caliper spacing,maybe even machining some off the wheel disc face,or fabricating a spacer to widen them.

tbh,for the price you can get 06/7 wheels for it's pointless imo trying to bodge another set on there,will end up costing you more i suspect.

• Like Like x 1
  5. morpheus20170

Thanks mate

6. Fudster

Fudster Active Member

As Scooby says anything can be made to fit, I've just fitted the BST wheels off my 04 R1 to my 13 Blade, one of the faster ones an HRC :D

As an idea for you this is what I needed to do to get them to fit

For the rear - Made new wheel spacers to reduce the bore size for the Blade spindle, took 2mm off the caliper carrier width (a new brembo underslung one - heart in mouth time at the mill, I must have checked my measurements about a thousand times and once more just to be sure, then another tab & coffee before I cut any metal off) and needed to add 1.6mm to the sprocket to get it to line up correctly

For the front - Made new wheel spacers to increase the size as the Blade spindle is bigger than the R1s (fortunatly the BSTs use captive spacers and the bearings were the right size), the discs needed to be spaced out 3mm both sides, longer disc bolts were sourced from pro-bolt at the NEC

A mate of mine made the disc & wheel spacers as he's way better at this than me, I tend to have a few "practice" pieces left over and take 3 times longer to make them :rolleyes:

The hardest part was measuring everything up so the wheels were in perfect allignment and then to work from there to make sure that they would actualy fit before machining anything

Cost wise it wasn't too bad seeing as I already had the wheels which I used male logic to claim they're free due to already having them :D The caliper & carrier was more of a want than a need as the standard one would have worked the same way, disc bolts and a fresh set of wheel bearings - cost to change was about £100 + £500 for the rear caliper, which should look good when the Italians find time to put their tabs n coffee down long enough to make and send the fronts :mad: 7 weeks now !!! gussetburgers, still need to add brake lines to that too

I've fitted quite a few different wheels to other bikes too over the years - GSXR400 wheels to my LC / RGV wheels to a CR500 motocrosser (mad as a box of frogs that thing was :D :eek: :D ) / Hayabusa front and XJR rear to my CBX 1000, plus others

Take time to measure everything and you shouldnt go too far wrong ...... hopefully

I'll post a few pics of mine when I've put them onto the computer

7. scooby

scooby Elite Member

it's not so bad if you can do the work yourself and if yo already have the wheels yourself,or are special ones,but if you had to pay an machinist labour costs etc do you still think it would have been worth it?

8. Fudster

Fudster Active Member

Not too sure to be honest things would be a lot different if I couldn't do most if not all the work myself, Costs would definatly go through the roof if I had to give the whole lot to someone to do

After seeing it almost done tho the wheels have made a huge difference to the asthetics, so I would say yes very much worth it :D

9. Jkaye

Jkaye Active Member

On a similar note, will the 2012> blade wheels fit straight on to a 09 blade? just think they look better than the 3 spoke items.

10. wedgiewolves#223

wedgiewolves#223 God Like

Yeah direct fit tad heavier than the 08-12 wheels

11. Jkaye

Jkaye Active Member

Cheers Wedgie.:)

12. wedgiewolves#223

No probs

13. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

So am I right in reading what you just said wedgie that the later wheels 2012-13 are heavier than the 2008-11 wheels?

14. wedgiewolves#223

Yeah bud not by much that is gonna make a massive difference I'm sure yorkshiregooner weighed them so I had to compare my 2 sets aswell but can't remember weights but the 12-14 wheels are heavier than 08-12

15. 58clowns

58clowns Active Member

***runs away to find some '12-'14 wheels***

• Like Like x 1