Newbie from devon

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Sparkyrr, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Sparkyrr

Sparkyrr New Member

Hi all
    Last Saturday I purchased my 1st fireblade it's an 06 model, I'm totally loving the bike. As I got the bike very cheap it does need a few jobs doing to it, full service chain & sprocket kit rear brake pads and new front discs as they have a slight fluctuation on braking. These might be ok but I'm not taking any chances, I want to be able to stop.
    As I only have minimum experience with the tools I'm going to be relying on the forum for assistance, hopefully not to much. One job I might get stuck is changing of the spark plugs, maybe just a confidence thing.
    Anyhow I look forward to talking with like minded & experienced members
    Sparkyrr

2. sulaco

sulaco Active Member

Hi and welcome, I'm down here in Cornwall, often venture into Devon north coast mainly, some really nice roads up there. I had same issues on front brakes when I picked up my 05rr, gave calipers a good clean, and freed the bobbins on the discs that sorted mine out, worth a try before buying new discs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sparkyrr

Sparkyrr New Member

Hi sulaco, yes some great roads nearby, have the start of the A377 at my doorstep, Conley bridge road Exeter right up to Barnstaple. I'm looking forward tand thfor s road later when the bike is in better condition with brakes/chain etc. It was a blast on my ktm supermoto, I certainly shocked a few sports bike riders on the bends.
    How did you free up the bobbins on the discs was this easy to do as I'm not completely confident with all maintenance tasks but always willing to learn. There are some lovely roads down your neck of the woods, but can be hair raising with the tourists at times.

4. sulaco

sulaco Active Member

Couple of vids from Del boy's garage Youtube channel, If you not come across him before he does some great vids, nice guy not full of shit like a lot of them on there.
    General brake service:

Bobbins:

Yeah some good roads here, but like you say the tourists get in the way, I find Saturday and Sunday mornings the best time in the summer. I'm in Bodmin so pretty central here to go all directions.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nickw

Nickw Active Member

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your bike.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Jandy

Jandy Active Member

Hi and welcome!!!!!!!

7. Sparkyrr

Sparkyrr New Member

Cheers for the videos of Del Boys garage, I have seen some of his vids. I wasn't aware that this could be done to free up, I will give it a try and hopefully will help with my problem. Going to do all my bikes as soon as I get the chance and the weather is better.
    Thanks for the welcome guys look forward to interacting with all you knowledgeable people as I'm gonna need some guidance I'm sure to get the bike where I want it

8. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

The 377 is very nearly a biker's wet dream from Copplestone onwards since the North Devon Link road opened, virtually empty. Unfortunately, they're not likely to resurface it any time soon so before long it'll be safer on a GS. Morchard Road to Winkleigh is a great option too, and I remember having a real hoot chasing a police rider from Copplestone to Okehampton on a BikeSafe ride out on that great road into the moor, until he got lost and I had to lead him home to West Point.

9. BlackDevil

BlackDevil Elite Member

Hi and welcome !

10. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Hi & welcome :)

11. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forum

12. rewy..rr

rewy..rr Active Member

Welcome Sparky

13. Sparkyrr

Sparkyrr New Member

Cheers for all the welcomes to the site, it may be short lived unfortunately as I'm being pressed to sell the bike again from the wife indoors.
    Sadly through my own big mistake I overtook her on the motorway without realising. Now your probably thinking that's not a major crime to make someone get rid of the bike. Well it seems that it does, but honestly nothing to do with going twice over her speed (oops)
    Got some serious spoiling and crawling to do in the next few weeks.
    But luckily the bike is out of site for the moment having a full service, valve clearances new rear brake and chain & sprockets fitted, so I might leave it at the garage and ride 1 of my other bikes for a while & act a bit mopey, it might help.
    Any creeping suggestions greatly appreciated

14. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Welcome mate