Newbie in waiting

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Stoker MI, Jan 7, 2022.

1. Stoker MI

Stoker MI New Member

Hi all
    I haven’t been biking for 20 years but had bikes for 25 years before that
    I am bound to notice one hell of a difference I was originally looking for a tourer or adventure bike but spotted the ad for a 2018 SP1 locally which appears good value
    Now to bore you obviously I am really old but would like to get back into biking again I am a bit of a petrolhead and love cars
    Would this be suitable for the odd long journey day 550 miles as swmbo and I go to Spain and spend maybe 6 months of the year there
    Having said that I don’t expect to do many miles and only in warm weather (hopefully) Thanks for your patience and would it look ridiculous with a top box and soft panniers
    Stoker NI

2. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Hi and welcome to the forum

• Like Like x 1
  3. bradt

bradt Elite Member

Hi and welcome back to biking, Not sure SP1 would be a great choice for you 550 miles a day is going to be tough going even for someone half your age, 200/250 probably more realistic.
    Re top box and planners yeah would look silly, soft luggage certainly a better option.
    Maybe a sports tourer would be a better option.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Stoker MI

Stoker MI New Member

ThNks for that
    The 550 miles is Bilbao to my apartment so only done once there and on the return journey The rest of the time normal journey or sightseeing

5. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Plenty of people have put a top box on a Fireblade, here's one example but there are many more.

https://www.1000rr.co.uk/threads/top-box-on-a-fireblade.33044/

I think most topbox solutions on the Fireblade use the rear seat as the base though so this might not suit if you need to take a pillion.

500miles+ in a day with pillion would be very hard going on a Fireblade yes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

7. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Or the Ninja1000SX, they're well liked sports tourers.

The new Suzuki GSXS1000 GT might be worth a look too.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

Hello and welcome

9. Coda

Coda Active Member

I think that out of the litre bikes, the blade is probably the better one for more ahem mature riders, but Honda seem to keep changing the ergonomics every couple years, like they can't make up their mind if they want the 'most comfy 1000', or the 'most aggressive 1000' titles. Take the 2014 blade (mine) for example. They decided for that year they'd had enough of people saying the blade was comfy, and they moved the pegs and bars around a few cm more extreme. I'd sat on an earlier bike and thought yeah... then got the '14 and thought WTF, I don't remember it being this harsh... Anyway 550 miles even if you're 30 would be a stretch. My advice if you want a 'sports' is look at the H2 tourer, or you definitely should consider the new Suzy sports tourer, seems incredible value for money. And welcome.

10. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Welcome! Plenty on here do big miles, not sure you would want to take a pillion though!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. kirk holmes

kirk holmes Member

Welcome to the forum. That distance on a blade is going to be uncomfy. The 2014 sp has a lightened reat subframe so its not able to take heavy luggage. Not sure if it the same on the 2018 model.

They are fantastic bikes though and very forgiving. I got mine last Jan after 15 years away from bikes and have not looked back. Enjoy

12. raphael

raphael Elite Member

I’d say go for it mate, did lands end to John o groats on my blade last year with no problems at all, the longest day for me was 470 miles.

13. Stoker MI

Stoker MI New Member

Cheers

14. BlackDevil

BlackDevil Elite Member

Hi and welcome!