Newbie needing Sprocket advice please

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Dol boy, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Dol boy

Dol boy New Member

Hi all, I've not long been joined and just browsing through the threads and learning how it all works, managed to sort a profile picture finally.
    I've owned my rra for about 2 years now, upgraded all sorts myself. But before I buy new sprockets is there any tips? I was going to go -1 on the front and keep the rear standard 520 pitch. Anyone know how many links I'll need? Won't affect my gear indicator will it? Will the distance between wheels change much?
    Thanks in advance, and hope I can help with anything I've already accomplished

2. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Hi. You're better off going up on the rear sprocket to begin with if you want a bit more poke as they're easier to change. I don't know your year well enough, but are you sure it's not a 530 pitch?

It'll not affect the gear indicator, but it may affect the speedo slightly, although nothing that a SpeedoHealer won't fix.

3. Dol boy

Dol boy New Member

Hi, yes it is a 530 but was going for the 520 just for less bulk & weight. The rra is the 2010 model, when they changed from numbers to letters (rr9). I don't mind stripping it all back to change both sprockets, Its been done many a time. has had 9k on the clocks, at quite a fast pace as I do a few track days.

4. Muffking

Muffking God Like

It makes more sense now you've mentioned trackdays. I've a 520 on my 2006 track bike, not sure how long it is though. I did go up 4 on the back & down 1 on the front, but as I got quicker I now run a standard front sprocket and just vary the rear as it's easier to swap over when I need to.

5. Dol boy

Dol boy New Member

Ahhh I see, ideal for quicker changes I suppose. I only do about 8 track days a year, but have brilliant roads on my doorstep and have a good bunch of riders to mess about with.

6. Dartmoor Dave

Dartmoor Dave Active Member

My only comment from my VTR SP2's is try not to reduce the front sprocket because the smaller the radius the chain has to perform the greater the wear and noise. Its stops being a rolling radius and becomes a 3 penny piece style. (If you have any idea what a 3 penny piece was) I went up 4 on the rear to get the tall first gear down to 30mph clutch out. 520 with its shorter pitch negates this very slightly.

7. Dol boy

Dol boy New Member

Cheers, I'll bear that in mind. I've bought the renthal 520 conversion and gone ahead with - 1 on the front, not fitted it yet as I'm on holiday. I'll review it once I've done a few miles