No headlight

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Peo, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Peo

Peo New Member

Hi all, I've got a 2015 blade that I bought last year cat D. Initially I prepped it as a track bike but have decent fitted a used road kit.

All lights are working apart from the headlight which is odd. The headlights were fully working with the previous owner of them who I do trust. All fuses are ok, and I've tried the battery disconnect trick. The headlight relay should be ok too as it came along with the working headlight.

Not had a multi meter out yet (which I'm rubbish with!) but any clues?!

2. blake7

blake7 Active Member

Just stabbing in the dark without a multi meter pal. Ensure bulb is okay and apart from that Multimeter to check for 12v at the light plug. If 12v not present then look at the loom.

3. Peo

Peo New Member

Yeah think you're right, just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem....Such a pain in the ass! Love the bike though .

4. Peo

Peo New Member

So I don't appear to have power going to the headlight relay but all other lights are working... does anyone have a wiring diagram for the front loom?

5. Slick

Slick Elite Member

The headlight is switched off when you hit the starter button. This is done by a micro switch within the starter button itself, if it gets stuck the bike will still start but the headlight will be extinguished.

Spray a load of contact cleaner into the starter button and see where that gets you

6. Ritchierich

Ritchierich Well-Known Member

I had this problem which was cured by disconnecting the battery. However when I first started looking at the problem there was a live feed which comes from the clocks for the headlights only and also I had no speedo readout either, this was down to the micro processor in the instrument cluster but as I mentioned earlier, disconnecting the battery sorted it and it never did it again.

7. Peo

Peo New Member

So after much messing and testing with a electrician friend we found that the dash feeds the headlight relay, but that mine wasn't. We solved the problem by bypassing the relay so the headlight stays on through the starting procedure. Otherwise I think it may have been a new dash.... the dash had taken a previous bash in the accident that caused it to be cat D.... all good now.