No Limits Oulton Park Wednesday 31/07/13

Discussion in 'Trackdays' started by Garyb, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

Sorry for bumping this again guys, it's aimed for anyone who attended this, Kevin from BPL Honda is trying a bit of a debate on their home page about the conditions of oil etc.

If anyone wants to give their opinion?

Follow this link.
    https://www.facebook.com/hondanw/posts/10151787274376163

I tried to warn him, but he would still value your input if you can/will.

God help him ;)

2. scooby

scooby Elite Member

this is what the world is coming to i'm afraid.

cant be your fault,there has to be someone to blame.

slippy track in the wet? who'd of thought it eh.....

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

the wet wasnt too bad to be fair scooby, made it slippery as hell but you could manage it - just!

the level of oil on the track however was shocking in the morning....dont know too much about it coming through due to rain, but obviously someone had spilt it all the way round as it was a continuous poor most of the lap and fresh as you like. But it was visible imo so as soon as i saw it, i backed off, had a couple of slides and came in for the session...

it was dealt with though and the guy at fault was kept in, personally, you know the risk, take your chances and choose to either stay in or go out.... i was on racetecs so with the amount of rain we had, plus the oil, i called it a day - not often i make wise choices but think it was one of the few!

• Like Like x 1
  4. scooby

scooby Elite Member

yea i understand that,if a guy on a bike drops oil then it's shit,evenmore so in the wet,but it;s people that are looking for blame elsewhere (as in the fb link),trying to blame the track for lack of prep,which,from what you say,actualy happened on the day.

5. Yorkshire Tyke

Yorkshire Tyke Elite Member

I thought the wet weather was a good learning curve, yeah the guy with oil dripping from his bike was a dick and thats what I put on the FB but the only reason I binned it was lack of experience/skill and too much enthusiasm but we all learn from our mistakes. hasn't put me off at all. the only person responsible for the bad grip and resultant crashes at oulton was that twat on the crosser! maybe the marshalls to some extent for letting him on track. now I have even more to learn by repairing and painting my fairings which I am enjoying doing, I've machined a new gilles rearset footpeg rip off @ work, and the rest of it is replaceable. Happy days! bring on the 27th :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

I agree with you scooby, it was exceptionally bad so not the wisest choice going out. Oil on track was worse than normal and I feel for the guy as it was worse than it should be, but wouldn't blame the organiser for it IMO.

One of those things that can happen and does happen on track. He's gotta suck it up and take it unfortunately....

YT... Best attitude to have imo

#346 Jimbo Vills, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  7. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

No doubt it was slippery from the off, should a track have less grip than the public highway- I'd argue not.

But it was obvious from the first sighting lap the track was slippery, it was then made even worse by whatever that dude was dropping round it. So if you decided to ignore the conditions and had an off the only person accountable should be the rider IMO.

Isn't that partly what slightly laps are for, to asses conditions?

8. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Does anyone else see some irony in the picture below...

[​IMG]

9. Yorkshire Tyke

Dont think youll ever drop it will you al...

10. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

Guys, forgive me, It wasn't my intention to post the link to help try and lay any blame or to fuel any animosity and most certainly not to incite a witch hunt, but Kev asked if I would post it so anyone there could give their opinion, whether anyone agrees or disagrees its only an opinion at the end of the day I thought I gave my opinion on the days conditions as honest as a novice could do,
    Yes there was a dude dropping oil, yes it was wet and I'm sure after a prolonged dry spell such as we had the roads/tracks are slippery and yes the bowser was deployed, should they have done it before the racing started? Personally it wouldn't have mattered to me as I was on racetecs too, totally the wrong tyres for the day. when I saw the tyre guys they said the best thing I could do was put the bike away and see if it dried up.
    I agree whole heartedly, it's up to the individual to make the decision whether of not the conditions suit them to ride in.
    It didn't suit me so I stayed in. A few guys who braved it, they didnt do so good, but at the end of the day you pay your money you take your chance.

Me, well I still had a mint day regardless. :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Yorkshire Tyke

27th gary!!!

12. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

No need to apologise Gary! Feel for the dude, really do... Makes an interesting discussion tbh. And like you say, everyone has an opinion. Be boring if it were the same :)

• Like Like x 3
  13. Yorkshire Tyke

Anyone who had the balls to go out on track that day deserves some respect, anyone who didn't can't comment. Simples.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

Given the tyres some of was one, we must have em the size of footballs then:D

And in answer to your question 27th..............I'll pass thanks, I've a ferry to catch the week after :cool:

But seriously. I'm working mate. Other than that and me being a soft arse I would have ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

As Jimbo says, don't be daft Gary there's no need for you to apologise. Just don't necessarily agree that the days organisers could be held accountable for the track conditions. if the debate was about blatant fast riders in the novice group, I'd certainly be agreeing that it was out of order allowing it.

I still had an awesome day, seeing you in those huggy bear leathers was the icing on the cake!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yorkshire Tyke

Regardless we need to try and make some regular meets somehow whether on road or track. Had an awesome day out even though I fcuked myself and my bike up! Still (just about) walked away smiling. Great company.

17. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Never know mark... I might make a cameo on a northern run this summer!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Yorkshire Tyke

That would be ace jimbo!!! Especially on your stealth machine! Although if heat signatures and db levels are anything to go by theres nothing stealthy about that exhaust of yours! :)

19. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

1st bit I agree mate, just because someone's had a bad day at the office certainly doesn't make for blaming someone else so to speak, that's why I agreed to post it so it wasn't just one persons opinion. There was plenty there that had no issues.

2nd bit, I reckon on the quiet I scared one or two of them quick lads in the novice group tbh. For all the wrong reasons yeah but I scared em ;)

3rd bit,you just know you want another don't you.

Just for you Dave sending man love your way dude ;)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. Barney1

Barney1 Guest

Yes I agree with you young tyke ,

I was bloody soaked :D

• Like Like x 2