Noisy can

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Pete H, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Pete H

Pete H Active Member

I think my scorpion can has got louder over the last fortnight, and I'm pretty sure it's started popping on the over run when I roll off the throttle. I keep meaning to ride to work one day without my earplugs in but keep forgetting (ageing brain).

My missus reckons it's got louder as well as when I pull off the drive in the early hours she now hears it even with the window closed and she never used to.

Could this just mean I need to repack the baffle material or what's causing it to bang and pop? I've not changed anything mechanically, it's not blowing anywhere as I've got down and had a good listen, at idle it sounds fine. I don't have the db killer fitted to it yet but I may have to if the neighbours start complaining.

?

2. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't reckon it will be the packing unless you have done some serious miles since buying it, check the 2 joins of the link pipe (box end and bit behind rear set) see if any carbon marks as that could mean its leaking there

3. Pete H

Pete H Active Member

I've done about 3 or 4 k since fitting it, I've looked the whole length of the system and can't see any sign of leaks, and all the noise is definitely coming out the business end where it should.

I'm wondering if it's fuelling now, bikes just gone over the 19k mile mark and is due an annual service once I can get the time to take her in, need to choose a wet weekend.

Did you have the bike remapped when you had it on yours though or just fit and forget?

4. raphael

raphael Elite Member

i always thought when it pops its unburnt fuel? fuel/air mixture not right

5. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

I had it just as it was for a while then fitted a pc3 can't remember how many miles I did with it now, I think 3-4k max but most prob alot less