Noisy from cold.

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by blakely.wells, Sep 10, 2015.

1. blakely.wells

blakely.wells Member

Now I'm probably being paranoid. After all its only covered 850 odd miles.. but the blade engine does seem very noisy (for a new bike) for the first minute or 2 after a cold start. Sounds like a small exhaust leak tapping noise. Anyone else's sound a bit harsh from cold? I've owned much older bikes that are quieter and just expected this to be very tight.

It's going in for its fork replacement under warranty as it's still leaking and will get them to check it from cold. As I said probably just paranoid.

2. red5

red5 Well-Known Member

I have a 64 and 15 plate they both sound a little tappety from cold but nothing that gives me any concern, sweet as when up to temp.
    Shame about your forks but I didn't have much hope after the dealer took a file to them:eek:.

3. blakely.wells

blakely.wells Member

Yeah I know right. . Oh well at least it getting fixed properly now. And cheers for that I'm not unduly worried as but it sounds a bit rougher than expected. Sounds perfect once warm though.

4. neil.marsh.758

neil.marsh.758 New Member

I've got a 15 plate and mine knocks/rattles at the front when I go over a bumps. It only does this when I first start riding. Don't know if it's a feature or a fault ??

5. red5

red5 Well-Known Member

Yes it's a Honda feature.......knocking forks and a clicking clutch! :(

• Like Like x 2
  6. neil.marsh.758

Nice 1 thanks for that. I've also got the clicking clutch as well which I've been told is the slipper clutch

7. lexathon

lexathon Active Member

Mine does all of the above.

Noticeably noisier when cold. Sounds like the wheel is loose when pulling over bump out of driveway.

After it's warm, it's super smooth and front seems totally solid.

750 miles so it has its first service on Wednesday.

Hope that's reassuring!

• Like Like x 1
  8. neil.marsh.758

Yeah thanks for that [emoji106]

• Like Like x 1
  9. ccr32

ccr32 Active Member

The BPF's on > 2012 models are a little noisy - think it is them topping out when the wheel drops in to a hole on the road. A 'feature' as you say and nothing to worry about, though I have yet to find a rebound setting that eliminates it.

As for engine noise, mine also has this so another feature it seems. If you've got an aftermarket can, check the seal between the link pipe and the end of the headers under the bike - a small gas leak down there will exacerbate the noise you're describing. Other than that, I think the actual noise emanates from the oil pump chain, having determined so using my high-tech stethoscope (an off-cut of hose pipe). Have listened to other 'blades and they all sound similar, so would conclude nothing to worry about.

• Like Like x 2
  10. blakely.wells

blakely.wells Member

Thanks for your input there. I'd suspected a slight leak from an exhaust joint and had checked with hands but obviously that's only doable for about 10 seconds for obvious reasons lol. It's a standard pipe though. Yeah just gonna put petrol in it and enjoy :)