Northern Spain 9/5/17

Discussion in 'Touring' started by gary1966, Jan 30, 2017.

1. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

11 of us planning a trip to Northern Spain will be getting the ferry from Portsmouth/Santander 9/5/17 and returning 19/5/17. First night we will be staying on the edge of the Picos de Europa after riding these roads we will drop down to a place called Leon and will be based here until the 17/5/17. Would be grateful of any good routes out from here if people have done this part of Spain before. Sat Nav routes or road numbers greatly appreciated. Gary

2. thefirebloke

thefirebloke Elite Member

Gary, you've been on here as long as I have so you should know better! Have you even tried to do a search? ;)

Check out page 5 of the touring section and you'll find out all you need from The Northern Boys Tour of Spain (again).

Whizz through the early parts as that's all about the preparation and the craic leading up to the "Off".

We've pretty much done every great road in that region over the last few trips! :):):)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

Cheers I will give it a look this week

4. gawain53

gawain53 New Member

Hi Gary,

Let me give you my opinion.
    Picos de Europa is quite nice for ridding, I would spend two days in that area.

Leon is quite beautiful city and really nice but for ridding I'll choose other alternatives better than head south to Leon city from Picos. I'll probably go west to Asturias and Galicia or east to Cantabria and PaĆ­s Vasco.

I've ridden sometimes in that areas and are quite good, specially if you're lucky and you don' find rain.

Other point I'll suggest you is that if you are ridding around one week in Spain I won't fix a base camp, I will stay every night in one place.
    I know this is less "convenient" than having a base camp but let you the chance of knowing much more places.

Any question just write me here or by PM as you prefer!

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

What are the best maps to buy that show all roads in a larger scale

6. chrisjh

chrisjh New Member

I am going to northern Spain 2nd May till the 11th at Salardu not to far from Andorra with a group of Lads it looks the dogs any tips for good roads would be great

7. gawain53

gawain53 New Member

Hi Gary

best maps are Michelin Zoom maps.
    The green ones, the orange ones provide less details and for ridding are not so useful

They are pretty good and provide very good info[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Alblade

Alblade God Like

Just seen this - Salardu is near Viella which many on here know well as a good overnight stop / town to base yourself in. Worth getting the bus times from where you are to Viella for evening meals / bar options as its a much bigger town and not far away.

Spain much cheaper than France - you are near the border and some good / dramatic passes on the French side you can easily do. I'd look into a ride to Jaca, then over to France past the ski resorts and back over the passes on the French side to your digs for a day.

For maps I suggest the following which covers a fair bit of Northern Spain - I lost my old faithful one last year from 2007 to am going to order this.
    Lots of new roads still being built in Northern Spain - use Google maps to check for options as new / improved roads springing up / linking poor roads
    https://www.insightguides.com/shop/product/insight-travel-maps-southern-france/9781780054933

Will dig out a link to the area I wrote as no point me repeating myself here all over again

• Like Like x 1
  9. Alblade

Alblade God Like

• Like Like x 1
  10. chrisjh

chrisjh New Member

that's great thanks

11. Alblade

Alblade God Like

For some ideas a few videos here

https://vimeo.com/channels/pyrenees/page:5

The 2010+ films better than the early ones as GoPro's improved (as did my riding and editing!)

Think this film is one of the best - music, riding , scenery etc.

#11 Alblade, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017