Not going down through the gears?

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Rob Hayes, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Rob Hayes

Rob Hayes New Member

Hi all,

I'm not very technical so bare with...

Basically when coming to a stop, cycling down through the gears to get to 1st, sometimes the pedal doesn't engage, I get no feedback and it doesn't go down the gears, its just 'floppy'.

If I release the clutch a little and try again it generally works. I've not had any issues going up in the gears, just down....

Anyone know what could be the issue?

2. travellingkiwi

travellingkiwi Active Member

Usually you didn't press the pedal hard enough...

3. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Is the bike still moving when it happens? Or are you sat stationary in 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th with your clutch pulled in trying to click back to first? The gearbox will be vague if you are trying to shift it when then bike is at a stop.

4. travellingkiwi

Just an amendment to Charlies observation about the vagueness of the gearbox... Not just when stopped, It'll be vague if you don't release the clutch between gears at any time. Stopped or not (Obv you're not going to intentionally release the clutch when stationary unless you're in neutral :) )

And queue the inevitable discussion about shifting multiple gears at once while moving...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

I find this happens to all bikes I have ridden to different extent when slowing down to a stop. In your situation, I sometimes cannot go past neutral into first.
    Just clutching in and out would not help. You need to release the clutch or till you feel it engaging if at traffic light then try selecting the gear you want. It works every time for me

6. Drezic

Drezic Active Member

I find with mine, while moving and coming down through the box in multiple changes that I need to tap down, and fully release the selector before I tap down again for next gear.

Without fully releasing the selector, it doesn't let me select the next gear (Well, not all of the time anyways)

7. hitch

hitch Elite Member

So... does anyone drop down through the gears before reaching a stop at the lights or simply "clutch in" and brake until stationary?

I always drop down to first if the light is red for those occassions when just as I get there they change.

8. Drezic

Drezic Active Member

I come down through the box like yourself in case lights change (relative to my speed)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. travellingkiwi

I'd never just clutch in... That gets embarrassing when you stall... Although TBH in town I usually don't get out of 2nd gear. 3rd at the most if the limit is >30.. At a 20 limit I might still be in 1st.

I like to pull up in neutral to give my left hand a rest..

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

20 mph limits are bike killers. in fact even in a car
    and it is so easy to creep to 25 without any feeling so you end up focusing on your speedo rather than the hazards around you. If I were the president...........