Number plate flipper

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Trav_1981, Dec 6, 2020.

1. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Thank you Rumpole :D ;)

200.gif

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  2. T.C

T.C Elite Member

The offence is absolute.

Its fitment is regarded as intent to prevent identification of a vehicle, so fitment is sufficient to complete the offence as it is deemed that if fitted there is intent to use it (deactivated or otherwise). It matters not if you can prove it was deactivated or otherwise, the offence is committed as soon as you go onto the road.

It is like going out and forgetting to do up your crash helmet. Not fastened means that the offence of not wearing protective headgear is committed (minimum £200 fine and 3 points with the option to disqualify if it goes to court). It could be argued that no offence was committed because the helmet was on the riders head, but the offence is complete because the strap is not fastened.

Slightly different to ther number plate offence in that the flipper is a criminal offence whereas the helmet is a traffic offence, but the analagy works both ways.

Many people are starting to use the old fashioned white on black number plates. That is fine if your vehicle was registered prior to January 1979 (date changed last year from October 1973), but many are now realising that white on black plates cannot be read by speed cameras (although they often use the excuse it looks cool)

Before long, I can see one of these plates being the subject of an attempt to pervert the course of justice case because of the "Intent"

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. BlackDevil

BlackDevil Elite Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. T.C

T.C Elite Member

Black visors are illegal, but they still get sold.

They can say what they like, they can sell what they like (within reason), that is quite legal, I can only point out the regulations and the potential consequences of the rider who decides to fit one and then gets pulled. They have no leg to stand on if they are prosecuted, and you cannot go back to the seller and say it was their fault....

It is illegal to use certain types of number plates on the road, but they still get sold.

Like I said earlier, it is down to the individual to decide in the same way as the rider who chooses to ride with a micro plate. Don't whinge if you get stopped and prosecuted

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. GappySmeg

GappySmeg Well-Known Member

Their own website blurb states:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Trav_1981

Trav_1981 Member

E7699772-543C-4BB9-B34A-24D1EC4A503B.jpeg 40103DFA-DF89-4978-8356-B1ED4F804A38.png Is this legal? I have my doubts now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. T.C

T.C Elite Member

No sorry. Very illegal and if stopped the bike could be seized, although unlikely.

The plate must be clearly visible to the rear of the vehicle (same as cars) and conform to the standard size.

8. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

Dads mate made one for his blackbird around 20 years ago using rat traps with a push button on the bars, worked great, although went off all the time. Then he realised about perverting the course of justice and slung it in the bin. You’ll get fucked harder with one on. Either know your route, “speed” when it’s safe to do so, or don’t. Just my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

Nice bike , going to get one , , , , , , , , one day ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Trav_1981

Trav_1981 Member

If you’re referring to the Ninja it was an awesome piece of kit.. got rid of her last year when we moved and just got myself a 19 plate blade but not had chance to ride her yet to compare the two.

11. Roger Savery

Roger Savery New Member

I realise the law clearly states the number plates must be visible at all time (whilst on a public road), however does anyone actually know the law that makes flippers illegal (if you have not been caught using it)?

I doubt any law exists - but I still don't think having one is a good idea.

12. Jez

Jez Senior Member

I had a bit of a spat with the law about my sons motoring offence fine, in the end they said challenge us in court, I replied is it an offence for you to mislead the public, case dropped after 2 days

• Like Like x 2
  13. BlackDevil

BlackDevil Elite Member

It is funny how many people think that's legal. Of course, I have the knowledge about most of the illegal parts you can buy.
    I can see all those parts on motorcycles in the UK.
    The dangers are not those parts, but the hobby mechanics who think they can modify everything on their motorcycles.

14. Jez

Jez Senior Member

In the past I have seen abroad maybe Germany they have TUV spec, this means you have to keep things standard. :eek:

15. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

That is part of the fabric of motorcycling, people working on their bikes in sheds, garages and dining room tables. Its slowly being lost aswell which is a shame. I love having my bikes in bits :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  16. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

Can I ask what the offence was Jez?

17. Jez

Jez Senior Member

It was a small number plate, they wanted to charge £100 for this offence but it was only a £60 offence, Needless to say he had to keep out of that area for a while after as it was a distinctive private plate , He still has the small plate he says he would rather pay a fine than remove

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. BlackDevil

BlackDevil Elite Member

In Germany almost everything has to be tested by an official government institution, like the TUV etc.
    Parts have to have an engraved number and can be checked easily by the police etc. etc.
    That means no cheap crap parts from China installed on Motorbikes.
    Also, if you modify mayor parts on your motorcycle, like the frame, brakes, engine, etc., it has to be approved by the TUV,
    otherwise you are not allowed to ride the bike at all.

19. Trav_1981

Trav_1981 Member

Thank goodness we don’t live in Germany!

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Jez

Jez Senior Member

Don't forget all new cars etc will not be able to break speed limits in a about 2 years. this was an EU directive that we will now have to abide by