Number plates online

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tuktuk, Dec 7, 2018.

1. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Need a new front plate for the car so ordered online. Only upon completion does it say i need to supply a pic of log book and drivers license.

I don't mind log book but it it worth obscuring any info on the drivers license?

Cheers.

2. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Find a site that does show plates if you are doing it on line they tend not to need any proof, but I’d sooner go to Halford’s than post that info to an unknown entity on the web.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Have you already paid?
    I had ordered plates for my trailer via ebay. All the Ads said that they needed the same info, but in reality that was just for the benefit of the ebay police...

• Like Like x 1
  4. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Yeah already paid. It wasn't till afterwards it asked for all this otherwise I'd have gone to Halfords and had them do it :(

I could obscure all numbers etc on driving licence photo if you think that will save me any future hassle? Tbh I'm not sure what they can do with license number etc but better safe than sorry.

5. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

In that case I’d redact all the licence info apart from your name and address (as they’ll have them anyway) and all the log book info apart from name address and reg number

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Obviously the deal's done now, but I can't help chipping in and adding that this is just another example of the all too common 'information gathering'. I suppose their system is to prove authenticity of entitlement, but with so many plate manufacturers available in both UK and EURO, it becomes a mute point to harvest personal details.

As @Boothman post, numerous showplate sites have no such requirements. I use A1 Showplates (https://www.a1showplates.com/ ) and of numerous plates ordered (both personalised and regular in 8 x 6 format) I have NEVER been requested to provide anything other than payment details!:)

7. Blade runner 1

Blade runner 1 Elite Member

I got a plate from eBay without being asked for any proof, that was couple of years ago though. Surely as they didn’t ask for proof until after you paid you should be able to cancel and get a refund.

8. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

I thought that but with it being a bespoke product apparently your sales rights are not the same.

I actually thought it was a show plate site. It wasn't until I had paid I was asked for all this. Looked back through the website and it's hidden in the FAQ section.

9. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Ah, the asterisks and T & Cs. There getting longer, and harder to read than the Magna Carta!:)

• Agree Agree x 1