Odd issue

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Jon selwood, Jul 13, 2021.

1. Jon selwood

Jon selwood New Member

Hi everyone. My first proper post, I’ve said hi in the newbies section.
    Looking for some advice. I’ve got an 07rr totally standard but last week I put a new slip on and link pipe. It’s a GP velocity pipe. Fitted fine and took the cables off the standard exhaust so I don’t get the light come on the dash. I started the bike no problem to test it and show my son, then tried it again and just kept turning over. Tried it a few times and did the same and then started again. It’s never been an issue starting before. Then went to start it this morning to go for a ride and did the same. Then tried again and started. Did 80 miles no problem but now wondering if anything i need to do?
    thanks in advance.

2. Lock

Lock Active Member

Did you do anything else at the same time as exhaust?

Could be coincidence but faulty kill or side stand switch? They have been known to go.

3. dern

dern Well-Known Member

The first time you ran your bike, did you only run it for a few seconds? A couple of times on my bike (also an rr7 with a slip on and cable for the servo still connected) and it wouldn't start immediately and needed spinning over for a bit. I thought at the time that the plugs may be wet from running rich from cold and thought no more about it as it's only happened twice in the years I've had it.

4. Jon selwood

Jon selwood New Member

Hi yes I did only run it for a few seconds to just hear what it sounded like so you could well be right. Fingers crossed it’s just that. Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jon selwood

Jon selwood New Member

I did fit a digital gear indicator at the same time.

6. Alan Summers

Alan Summers Active Member

Have you flicked the kill switch by accident?

7. Blade runner 1

Blade runner 1 Elite Member

Not sure about the 07, but I reset the ecu on my 2014 when I fitted an aftermarket exhaust. Prior to the reset there was a few occasions where it would be difficult to start again if it hadn’t warmed up properly.

8. Jez

Jez Senior Member

I agree with the ECU reset this will relearn the fuel map for the exhaust, I am assuming it still has the O2 sensor

9. Jon selwood

Jon selwood New Member

it is only when it’s cold. So being a bit stupid but how do I reset the ECU?

10. dern

dern Well-Known Member

If it's like anything else I've had, disconnecting the battery overnight will do it.

11. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

IIRC disconnect the battery for about ½ hour then start the bike without touching the throttle and let it run on it's own until fan kicks in, then hit the kill switch.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jon selwood

Jon selwood New Member

Thanks guys. Think it’s sorted although still not sure how. I did the ECU reset, annoyed the neighbours but who cares. The only other thing I think it may be is the last time it wouldn’t start I noticed the gear indicator hadn’t scrolled back to neutral and still said 6. Would this trick the bike into thinking it’s in gear and not fire up??
    Just wondering. Thanks again.

13. dern

dern Well-Known Member

Does your gear indicator plug in to the port inside the left panel next to the clocks? Is it one like this...
    dash.jpeg

If it is then it's just reading the engine speed and wheels speed from that port and won't affect the bike in any way. Also, because it's dividing road speed by engine speed (or the other way around) it takes a little time to figure out the value ranges for each gear so is a little unreliable until you've gone through the gears a few times. Also (finally) the value when you aren't moving could be anything and you shouldn't rely on it.

If it's not that type of gear indicator ignore all that :)

14. Jon selwood

Jon selwood New Member

. It plugged into a red plug connector underneath the left side fairing by the indicator. I’ve mounted it the same place though

15. dern

dern Well-Known Member

That sounds like the same connector I used, I didn't describe it very well.