OIL and what Oil to use / FILTERS - TECH DATA

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Apollo, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Apollo

Apollo Active Member

Hey guys,

I've been reading through a lot of data analysing different oils pre and post use and one of the oils that seemed to work out the best in all the stats was the full synthetic Shell Advance Ultra 10w40 (sold in the US as Rotella).

Anybody has experience with the above mentioned oil and/or opinions and technical data on other oils and why to use them?

Please post your opinions backed by data and reasoning.
    The fact that your mechanic recommends something often points to what they got a good trade deal on and not on valid research and analysis. Most mechanics I've confronted on the topic had no knowledge and data whatsoever on why the oil they recommend is good.

Please write up your two cents about oil filter you use and why while you're at it :)
    Data on flow, filtering qualities etc. especially appreciated!

Thanks!

P.S.: the link to "which oils to use" pinned in the maintenance section doesn't work.

#1 Apollo, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  2. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

I tend to use the Puglian extra virgin stuff from Aldi. Nice peppery flavour and it's not too expensive :D

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

Not too sure about filtering it. I might use a bit of kitchen roll if my fried eggs are a bit oily but that's about as far as I'd go o_O

4. Apollo

Apollo Active Member

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

6. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

Back on topic.........last time the main stealer serviced my Blade they used..........

[​IMG]

They reckoned it was the best stuff on the market. I guess you'll get different answers from different folks.

7. BoroRich

BoroRich Elite Member

And as far as the filter goes. Why not just stick an OEM one on. Bit of a no-brainer, I'd say.

8. Apollo

Apollo Active Member

I usually go for Hiflo when it comes to the filters. From all I've read up it's the same spec as the OEM for half the price. I change it with every oil change as well.

I do love my olive oils haha, I usually use the lidl ones, they sometimes stock the Greek oil so I just stock up on those lol

9. Apollo

Apollo Active Member

I was just kinda hoping there might be a couple of nutters that done all the oil analysis, charts and all

10. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

WTF?? Are you doing a thesis covering the effects of oil efficiency and degradation in motorcycles? I am very serious about what I use in my bikes, but I am influenced by those who recommend products based on their own experience(s). I doubt very few would be summonsing technological data from oil companies. In simplified terms, it is akin to seeking tests on what brand of milk to pour in your tea or coffee!!

I shudder to think of a Honda dealer recommending 'Yamalube' when Honda endorses its own oils:
    https://www.honda2wheelersindia.com/services/honda-genuine-engine-oil

But here is the catch: is Honda oil repackaged Shell or Motul for instance? Nup, for me, I'll get a census of opinion from those who really tax oils, and that is the track riders from this forum.

11. Apollo

Apollo Active Member

I'm just a sucker for charts and tech data when it comes to stuff haha :) What is it that the track riders consensus is then?

Not that the tech stuff matters that much since I change it quite often anyway, but hey-ho, it just interests me :D

• Like Like x 1
  12. Selmer50mark

Selmer50mark God Like

As long as it is a one of the top brand oils and changed every 4000 miles with genuine filter you can't go wrong , you'll probably sell it before the engine is worn out

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Slick

Slick Elite Member

no science just results

motul 300v 10w40 last 50k, now on 70k .Changed every 10k or so. Mix of track day and commute. Engine not broke, and still strong. Burns about 100ml per 1k
    I use a magnetic sump plug to check debris and nothing to report.

Normally use oem filter if on offer but hilfo or K&n are fine too

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

From the link.
    THORTTLE Fully Synthetic SAE 10w30 Engine Oil
    Lol
    Apollo - doubt the info you are asking for is even available from the manufactures, let alone a few forum folks.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Nigelg79

Nigelg79 Active Member

Silkolene Pro4 or Comp4 for me - preferably 10W30. Excellent VI (viscosity index) rating meaning it keeps its viscosity characteristics better when operating under both high and low temperatures, therefore it’s lubricating ability.
    That and it also gives the silkiest gear change I’ve had with an oil!
    If you’re looking into it in that much detail, get an idea of available oils then check the technical data for each, checking the VI value among others.
    Or just make sure you use a decent branded oil and change it regularly!
    Filter - HiFlo.

16. Great Guy

Great Guy Well-Known Member

s-l1600.jpg This is what I use.

#16 Great Guy, Feb 15, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  17. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Castrol power 1 10w 30 for the bike.

Aldi extra Virgin olive oil if the Mrs is feeling a bit frisky! o_O

• Like Like x 1
  18. PeterT

PeterT Active Member

I have used all sorts from Motul fully synth, to Fuchs fully synth to Castro’s fully synth. now use halfords semi synth 10/40 car stuff and have done for 20,000 miles, always changed oil at 3000 miles with new filter every other oil change. Use genuine Honda filters and my bike at 50,000 miles runs perfect and actually think it runs better now than when I bought it new, burns about a litre of oil every 1500 miles.

19. TheMickster

TheMickster Active Member

I use Silkolene Pro4 in mine as the local bike shop down the road stocks it at a good price.

Previously it had motul 300v in it.

This bloke on youtube chops up a load of different oil filters to show the differences inside.

20. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I'm wondering if, in one of those spontaneous moments of emotional outpouring, you have ever made the mistake of using the wrong one?:confused::confused: