Oil change after layup

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by dazza, Mar 7, 2012.

1. dazza

dazza Active Member

Guys,
    quick question regarding oil change if i may:

The bikes been off the road since November and not been started or anything. Been sat on its stands the whole time.

Im due to kick it back into life in the next week or 2 redeay for taxing etc April 1st. This will include oil and filter change and other check overs.

Normal procedure for chainging oil is to start it up and get oil warm then pull the plug. Is this still the way to go? Im guessing most of the oil will be in the sump by now anyway so if i just pull the plug without starting it am i going to get more out than normal?

So basicaly should i do it as normal (start up before) or change the oil before starting it up again?

Hope that makes sence, im waffling on abit :p

Cheers :)

2. bluekontakt2004

bluekontakt2004 Active Member

I would change the oil before startup, Just at the end of this year make sure you chainge the oil before you put her to bed. any sedement in the oil would have settled to the bottom of the sump and could possibly get sucked up and block an oil line.

Im not saying that it definatly will, There may even be no sedement in the sump! If you change the oil before you put her to sleep it stops this as the sediment gets drained out as its susspended in the old oil.

3. garyauk

garyauk Active Member

Take the oil out before starting it up, the oil will all be in the sump......just take the sump plug out and leave it for a long while as the oil will be thicker

4. djfleming22

djfleming22 Active Member

Yes you would usually start the bike to help the oil run out but because the bike has been sitting there that long all the oil should now be a the bottom of the sump so no need to start it... i left mine with the sump plug out for a couple of days and let it all run out

5. ray

ray Well-Known Member

Also, when you put the new oil in I would crank the bike over a couple of times with the Engine Stop on, so you get some oil up to the top of the engine before running her up.

6. Brym

Brym Active Member

Another tip if you don't already do it is to fill up the oil filter with oil as it helps the pump prime up.

7. dazza

dazza Active Member

Righto, will drain the old out first, cant leave it for a couple of days as it lives outside but will leave it a few hours whilst i do other jobs.

Thanks for all your replys guys, appreciated. :)