Oil pressure after gearbox replace

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by BC74, Jun 9, 2022.

1. BC74

BC74 New Member

Hi all
    I finally got a replacement gearbox and fitted it, having refitted everything and removed and refitted the sump (to find the broken tooth)
    Upon refilling with oil and starting it sounds rough and the oil pressure light is staying on, I’ve let it get to temp but the light stays on I’ve removed the sump again to make sure the oil pickup is ok and refitted everything and still the same.
    Any ideas what could be causing it? Or any ideas as to what I could be missing? ‍♂️ Thanks in advance

2. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Hi - don’t know with any certainty @BC74 but just thing about engineering principles - if you’ve had it to pieces and it was in effect dry I would ask does the oil pump need to be primed?

• Like Like x 1
  3. BC74

BC74 New Member

I fathomed it out in the end, I had somehow put the cog that carries the oil pump chain on the main shaft the wrong way around so it wasn’t pumping as it should, now sorted and sounding better than ever ‍♂️ Oil pressure light went out within seconds of the fresh startup so no priming required.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Dave86

Dave86 Member

How long did you run it for without or low oil pressure? You ran it up to temp?

• Agree Agree x 1