One for Nigel

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by mk3golfcab, Oct 14, 2019.

1. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

• Like Like x 1
  2. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

If I was looking to buy today I’d be on my way south - best scheme ever in my humble opinion

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

totally agree! If I hadn’t bought my RRB I would have had it. I got £4800 insurance payout on mine with 25k miles

4. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Nice bike and much better than my RR4, but £5750? They've got to be having a laugh! Even 5K is tops! Low mileage surely can't add that much value.:rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

the market really seems to be a mixed bag, prices are all over the place. That being said, if you can sit on it long enough you’ll find a buyer. I think the whole brexit thing will be putting people off, as uncertainty does to everything!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Huh? Brexit?

I know that for me, regardless of UK's position in or out of the European Union has absolutely no effect upon my decision(s) of whether to purchase a bike or not, as defined by my recent Triumph purchase.

We know that Thomas Cook had cited 'Brexit' as a reason for its collapse; but my view is that a whole range of factors underpinning the company - levelled squarely at management - were to blame.

But let me ask this, my friend Golfy: Did you consider the Brexit issue in making your recent decision to purchase the 2011?:);)

7. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

No I didn’t Nigel; I am of the same opinion as you - so much so I booked a holiday to Rome for the start of the year at the weekend. However I have seen a decline in work in my industry with the reasons cited as Brexit. My opinion is it will be used as a scape goat for anything negative for the next few weeks/months.

Organisations are seemingly more cautious to spend money because of it but ultimately (I hope) it will have minimal effect on my livelihood. It seems to be a similar effect as to when the oil price is high, the top buy less and it filters down to the rest of us eventually.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

It's not going to affect you as much as a working man though Nigel because you are a pensioner. Uncertain times always lead to some people being unwilling to spend.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I went to Rome last year. You'll enjoy it - save for our African brothers swamping tourists with souvenirs and mementos.:rolleyes: Some good architecture and ruins - if that's your bag.

Agree on the 'scapegoat' proposition, and I do confess I have noted a shift (downward) in currency exchange between UK and Oz. Whether or not that's Brexit related is beyond my level of comprehension.

Holy crap Charlie, my friend. A 'working man' and a pensioner each apply the same rationale to expenditure and that is: Do I want/need the product; does it suit my purpose; does it offer value.

Both the working man and pensioner have money in reserve (or on tap credit) that will be considered as funds for said purchase. With my greatest respect, I can't fathom that Brexit or even a government change, would affect the purchasing mind set of a person whether employed or not, UNLESS there was a DIRECT threat against that person's employment. ;)

10. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

Yes definitely, went to Rome last November but not for long enough to really enjoy it. Figured we could do with a few days away from the children.

My logic is that there will always be some reason for not spending. At the end of the day we only live once, we need to enjoy it. We can’t control many situations in our lives but we can control happiness and brexit certainly won’t ruin mine.
    Spend, spend, spend!

• Like Like x 4
  11. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Cheers Golfy.

A much nicer reply than I'm expecting from Charlie!!:eek::);)

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

All my replies are nice, but I disagree with you. Brexit could potentially have an effect on lots of peoples jobs in lots of industries. I presume your pension will still be getting paid regardless. There is nothing wrong with people acting cautiously in these situations. P.s. I voted leave.

#12 CharlieR85, Oct 15, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  13. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Mileage is embarrassing for a bike of that age but a major result for the person that buys it....... At that price though???

I'd be looking for some thing a little newer ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

It's okay. We do have some common ground as I also voted 'leave'.;)

15. Stuish

Stuish Senior Member

Fully agree, we have 12 languages at our place, all native speakers, over 150 staff all uncertain how their whole lives are going to pan out. You can't blame people for not wanting to spend money.

16. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

The problem with that sort of environment @Stuish , if you might share my view, is that if a few people start talking negative vibes, it drags the whole workforce down - and conversely, although not so often with positive outlooks.

Given the the referendum returned a result of close to 50% each way, it surprises me that so many of your colleagues share what appears to be a dismal projection. However, I qualify this by saying I don't know your colleagues and their situations.;)

17. Stuish

Stuish Senior Member

Yeah they are all native speakers who moved over here for the job (Translators) most were here before any of the talks took place, and I think its more of the uncertainty around the whole situation more than anything. More of a, "Will I have to move back to Japan/China/Russia/etc." And the company that has spent all this money with a new building etc. Hesitant to spend more if it's all for nothing if you know what I mean?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I think this has almost as much drama as the Y2K 'millenium bug' panic-stricken public. I am positive by nature and really can't see that there'll be any noticeable difference after 31 October.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Gravel trap

Gravel trap Senior Member

Brexit is being used by company's as an excuse for sure . That said we have no services booked in at work next week. Diary normally a two week wait at best. Internet and phoneParts orders are down and foot fall through door very quiet except on Saturdays. Most of the bike manufacturers we deal with have put stock price up on machines and parts blaming brexit. Suppliers of aftermarket parts and oils have gone from free carriage on orders over £200 to min order £350 surely this is just to bank funds but brexit blamed again. I'm glad I'm a home owner with a healthy equity. I'd hate to try and start again in this financial market.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Wozza

Wozza Elite Member

I work in the supermarket industry and you know when times are tough when customers are spending less on food...and the budget end are doing well...

• Thanks Thanks x 1