Optimus Prime has a new workmate! :) New MT-10

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by exuptoy, Nov 17, 2015.

1. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

Forgot I’d started this thread. Never thought I’d end up getting one almost 2 years later!

Mines decatted with a Leo Vince baffled pipe and Scorpion RP1-GP. Absolutely frigging mental thing. Exup removed with servo eliminator, R&G engine case and bar end sliders with Chinese levers, mirrors and rad guards and SMoto tail tidy and small plate.

428CDA6F-8992-4798-AED1-5EA4FD389D43.jpeg

1CAD04C5-6ACB-4BBA-8339-CA741FE7F072.jpeg

036ED716-39F8-49A3-A79D-3131E85B0013.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Yep, good things come to those who wait. What was the deciding factor? A price you couldn't resist or had you been looking for a while?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Looks nice - sort of muscular looking, nice in those colours as well. I bet it sounds loud !

Weird thing I have noticed with mine - I cannot hear that lovely exhaust note so much since buying a new HJC lid.

The new HJC lid must have better sound insulation than the Arai lid. Wearing my Arai I can hear the engine better , with stock pipes, than when wearing the HJC lid.

Going to have to get a noisier pipe to make up for it !

MT-10 SP coast road rsz.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  4. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

Not really, I test rode one around 2 months back just for something to do one day which flipped me right out. I was blown away, then I found out that in 2009 HMRC changed the ruling on motorcycles so they were no longer classified as vehicles in relation to tax but were classified as an asset, like a cement mixer or lathe etc which meant it was 100% tax deductible and for a percentage of personal use I can pay towards it and my company pays the rest. The Daytona part ex paid my bit so it was a no brainier.

Nice. I loved the look of the SP but for me the extra wasn’t justifiable as the standard one is so good. That Leo pipe is the bollox Mattie. I love my HJC lids too.

How are you getting on with the SP?

• Like Like x 1
  5. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Damn! I've got 7 assets and no company to claim against:(.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Spygoat

Spygoat Well-Known Member

Nice bike!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Thanks - it does look nice, and it is my only bike. Really I wanted an R1 M but could not really justify the price, or such a bike for purely road use and trips away. So from that point of view the SP is a more practical and cheap option compared to the R1 M.

The bike is plenty quick enough for a road bike - nice size bike with a very versatile seating position. Fuelling is good, suspension all good. Got used to the gearing with first a bit taller than my old Blade. Really love that low to mid range power - coupled with a quickshifter !

Looking forward to taking it to the TT in June.

• Like Like x 1
  8. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

@Mattie660 are those Metzeler M7RRs on the bike? How do you find them compared to the S20s?

9. Gaffa22

Gaffa22 Well-Known Member

The MT is a great bike, I have just fitted an SP Engineering can, no decat, its just a bit louder and deeper than stock
    dont have any pictures of the bike other than this one where i was trying out the Motolug trailer on the back of the motorhome

MT10-SP.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Yes they are the M7RR.

The S-20s were great tyres, but they never saw a drop of rain, before they were worn out. This summer was so warm, and I went down to Spain and rode lovely warm roads in the sunshine - bags of grip on the twisties, tried to get them to slide by powering out of hairpin bends - really faultless. They were just soft single compound tyres and wore out quite quickly, during the warm summer.

The Metzler M7RR - they had a lot of summer sun and warm roads as well. But now they have had to handle a motorway in heavy rain and wet roads as well. Even so they still seem to warm up ok. It is a bit early days yet as I have not done a full winter with them. They turn in nicely, seem to grip ok, they have done heavy rain on a motorway, leaves and debris on the roads. So far so good.

No real sign of wear yet and in total my bike is on 8,000 miles since May this year - not sure how many of those are on the Metzlers but a good few !

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

AAAAhhhh. Rain:eek:. Leaves:(. Debris:mad::mad:.

Cleaning:D:D:D:D:D!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

Had M7RRs on my Street Triple and loved them. Not so quick steering as the Diablo Rosso Corsas they replaced and that’s understandable but once I was tuned in to them they really were exceptional. First person I’ve seen with them on the MT.

13. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

I like that they are quite neutral, they do not fall in, and they are road tyres rather than track tyres. They seemed a good choice for a sporty super-naked MT-10.

Not sure if you have seen that video of Michael Rutter doing a lap of the TT, on a stock Gixer with these tyres - quite honestly if he can do that then I am not going to be doing anything that will trouble them !

https://www.facebook.com/Performanc...r-tt-winner-michael-rutter-/1418136978279836/

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

I’ll take a look later. In work on nights just now. ;)

15. Gaffa22

Have you had your MT on a track Mattie ?
    I reckon it would be great fun round Caldwell

16. bazzashadow

bazzashadow Elite Member

17. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

I should do really - but never done any track days.

18. Gaffa22

If you can got on the right days they are lots of fun.
    I'll take the blade and the MT next year, I think the MT will be surpringly good and heaps of fun.

• Like Like x 1
  19. derchef

derchef Well-Known Member

Tracked both
    Also let few s1000rr , APE V4 , SDR1290 owners a little perplexed due the R1 engine conversion :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. exuptoy

exuptoy Elite Member

Have you looked at the comments? The number of dickheads who keep saying "not as good as my K5".....FFS I rode a 2014 L4 back to back with my old K5 with refreshed suspension on it and when I got back on my K5 I though the front tyre was flat as the suspension was so shit compared to the L4! Can't imagine how much better the L7 is than the L4. Things move on and people need to move with the times and stop seeing things through rose tinted specs. My RR9 Blade was better than my K5!

• Agree Agree x 1