Overheating bike

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Zahrin Zaimi, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Zahrin Zaimi

Zahrin Zaimi New Member

Hi im riding an 05 fireblade.
    Rode it for 10 years already but recently there is overheating problem.
    When i go normal riding max 110kmh.. its normal but when i ride it 130kmh and above, the temp will go up to 110° to almost 120°.when i slow down the temp will not go down and it will maintain there . Then fan will just be on all the way. Once i stop and off it coolant will come out from the reservoir tank hose.
    Went to my mechanic he change for rad cap, clean the rad and change thermostat. Then i test the bike again and its still the same. So he said its the head gasket and he said my bike is old and not worth the repair. So i bought k seal . I poured it in the radiator and after a light ride my bike is ok now. When i go fast the temp will drop to 85° but now the problem is it started to go hot faster when im riding lightly. Not slow not fast.. and stops on traffic light. Usually when at the traffic light temp can go up till 105 and the fan will come on. When move off the temp will go down back again to 80+ but now the temp will go down but very slow.. it will just go down abit after i move off and maintain 90+ and above.

My question is whats the problen now?
    Before- normal riding .. normal temp... but go fast temp go up.
    After - go fast temp go down but normal riding temp goes up fast.

What else can be the problem?

2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

My first thought is that your radiator might be clogged. Are you able to remove it and clean outside and flush inside? (Don't believe for sure that your mechanic ACTUALLY DID WHAT HE CHARGED YOU FOR)

And as a long shot, have you checked your oil level? If you're really low on oil your temp will stay high.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Zahrin Zaimi

Zahrin Zaimi New Member

Yes. Rad have been removed and flushed and bike has just did oil changed. Im gonna try changing the waterpump and see how it goes

• Like Like x 1
  4. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I repeat, don't trust what your mechanic has said and done.

Your mechanic told you there is a fault with the head gasket. If that is the case there would be evidence in the oil. It would look cloudy and grey.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

looks like you have reduced flow. Either a blockage nige mentioned or a resctriction this could be anywhere in the system including the thermostat.
    I have experienced stats that have gone sticky or lazy with age and not opening fully.
    if you change the coolant, do a reverse flush as well

6. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Fully agree!

I had a wife with similar symptoms:eek:.

7. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

:Dvery LOL
    poor you. I guess when she did, she was hot & overheating

8. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Yes. A flushing out immediately rectified;).

9. DANIEL JAMES SWINK

DANIEL JAMES SWINK Active Member

Speaking of overheating, my low running temp is usually around 178, in standstill traffic, it'll go no higher than 224. Is this normal>? a new bike so I'm still learning about it, It is a 2011 cbr1000rr. Thanks. (Fahrenheit also, in usa here)

10. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Hi, and welcome, Daniel.
    I have a 2011 and 178 - 224 is bang on normal in median weather.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DANIEL JAMES SWINK

DANIEL JAMES SWINK Active Member

Oh thank God! is it normal when sitting still, the temp rising over 200(F) that more heat seems to rise around the right knee area?

12. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Don't know about the heat on the right leg; never experienced it. Of course sitting still there's no wind flow so the heat has to come out somewhere. Plus, fans won't come on until about 203 - 207 Farenheit. Temp will then drop, but you might be feeling heat flow both radiant and from the fanned air.;)