Painting Wheels

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Lock, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Lock

Lock Active Member

Hopefully getting round to painting wheels at the weekend. They are off the bike, tyres removed (did at home, was easier than expected - not done before). Have cleaned wheels well, just got to sand and scotchbrite smooth.
    Then etching primer, base coat (gold) and clear.

Any words of wisdom, advice for those in the know? Thinking of doing 3 coats of each, letting about 20 minutes between coats to dry. So many different views on the Web - any thoughts on leaving longer to dry between primer, base and clear (last coat of each leave and hour?). Also thougts on flettening after primer - some do, some don't.

Should get chance to leave for week or two before fitting new tyres - hopefully chance to harden up paint, wouldn't want to scratch it!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Not something I've attempted myself but can't be too difficult. I'd definitely leave more than 20 minutes before each coat though..... No point rushing;)

Good luck with it and show us the finished result :)

3. Lock

Lock Active Member

Merrily rubbing down wheels, look like they might have been painted before (not a great job!).

Question I've got is satin finish or gloss - what is the original finish?

The wheel paint I've got can be left as a durable satin finish, but got clear coat as originally thought about a more durable finish

4. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Probably too late now, but I'd forget painting and get them powder coated. It's only £35 per wheel and much more durable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jez

Jez Senior Member

I took all the casting marks out of mine before powder coating this gives a lot better finish, but is quite a lot of work

6. Lock

Lock Active Member

Well Job is done, took longer than expected, more paint and laquer than expected but pretty happy with the result. Putting tyres back on was tricky and on last bit on the second wheel the lever iron slipped and scratched the rim - oh well, touched it up and is OK.
    Time to get out and scrub the new tyres in!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  7. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Take a shot of the entire bike for the full effect

8. Lock

Lock Active Member

As if by magic, one I took earlier (not best angle though!)

Still got work to do returning her back to her former glory, is a project bike I bought back in November last year - bit of panel work left, then valve clearances, quick throttle and engine tune (ecu) then that should be it for a while!

Just had front forks serviced and weighted ktech springs added, so be good to see what that is like with new tyres. Will get rear shock serviced and resprung over winter, then suspension setup next year. Then stop for a bit!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

Very nice - still maintain that’s the best scheme they’ve ever put on a blade.

• Agree Agree x 1