Panniers/ saddle bags.

Discussion in 'Parts, Accessories & Clothing' started by Great Guy, May 6, 2019.

1. Great Guy

Great Guy Well-Known Member

Having just arrived back from Belgium (fantastic trip) I have decided to invest in some panniers/ saddle bags. ( my rucksack was not one of my better ideas).
    What do you guys recommend, for a 2009 blade? I will only be away for a max of 3 or 4 days.
    Thanks. Pictures and prices would be good.

#1 Great Guy, May 6, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
  2. raphael

raphael Elite Member

let the bike take the strain/load and use kreiga us range,10,20.30 litre bags all inter locking with each other and a 5 year warranty i have used these every day on my commute in torrential rain and fully waterproof also
    https://kriega.com/sports/touring/us-20-drypack

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Noel

Noel Active Member

Kreiga us all the way for me

4. hitch

hitch Elite Member

+1 for Kreiga
    I use the R30 and it is plenty big enough for my lunch, ipad, jeans and gym kit.
    Totally waterproof as the commute home in last Fridays downpour proved :(

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Glad the trip to Belgium went well - any chance of a picture or two ? always like road trip pictures !!

Basic choice of types.....

If you have a tail tidy on your bike, then it is likely that the rear indicators will have been moved forward and now be directly below the pillion seat. This probably limits the use of throw-over saddle bags such as the ones by Oxford - the indicators will be in the way.

So you might have to chose a bag that does not throw-over but rather sits on top of the pillion seat. There are a few of these such as Oxford, Kreiga and SW-Motech

I do like the Oxford ones, lots of pockets for getting at stuff on the road. Some of them have elasticated netting - useful things like that. Also the price is very competitive. No real issue with Oxford panniers that I had.

Saying that, I will be getting the Kreiga 30 for the new bike. I like that it is very secure on the back of the bike. Neat and tidy, all day waterproof. I think you can expand the system with additional bags later if needed. I think you loose a bit of the road side accessibility that you have with the Oxford bags, but it is a tidier simpler more waterproof system (in my humble opinion).

6. Gravel trap

Gravel trap Senior Member

I'm 4 years into using my kreiga rucksack. 6 days a week all year round and its never leaked. It's done green lane days on my old kdx silly speeds on my r6 and blade and always comfy and secure.

7. jc6830

jc6830 Active Member

SW motech. Frame attaches to pillion pegs, strong, safe and you can get a lot of gear in. Lozzy put me on to them

• Like Like x 1