Permanent trickle charger leads connected through open pillion cowl

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Sossige, May 23, 2013.

1. Sossige

Sossige Active Member

Hi all -

Looking to connect one of these Accumate lead to my Fireblade so that I can connect my Accumate up when not in use.

With my old Hornet, I had it connected so that I lifted up the combined rider/pillion seat and then connected the charger. With my Speed Triple, the dealer put the cable in so that it poked out from underneath the seat, down one side of the bike all the time.

My local dealer suggested that they could wire it up on my new bike so that it was accessible just by removing the pillion seat cowl - but then said they couldn't as it would set the alarm off all the time.

Am I right in thinking that problem can be worked around somehow with a change of alarm setting etc? I believe it's a Datatool alarm, not sure if it's an S4 or not.

S

2. mgoode180566

mgoode180566 Active Member

mine is cable tied to the passenger hanger

3. Sossige

Sossige Active Member

I would like to avoid that if at all possible, hence the question... :)

4. JM1

JM1 Active Member

Mine just pokes out from under the rider seat

5. mr.h

mr.h Active Member

I had mine under the seat cowl/pillion seat. Then just fed the cable out when using it and putting the seat cowl back on so the alarm magnet still works,it didn't trap the cable - easy. There is a gap through to the main compartment where the battery sits that can easily take the charger cable, if your dealer says it can't be done I would worry about their abilities when taking it in for a service! :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pete H

Pete H Active Member

I've got a data tool s4 on mine and I'm not sure what you mean about setting the alarm off, do you mean by removing the seat or by attaching an optimate?

Mine is connected all the time when it's parked up, no alarm activations at all. And I connect it within 30 secs of parking up so the auto arming isn't an issue although I have connected it with the alarm set and it doesn't set off either.

I loosened the tail section just enough to feed the connector out and have it just under the rider seat, easily reached when parked up but invisible when on the move.

Helps having a black bike though!

7. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

Pretty sure it's to do with where the alarms magnetic trip sensors that are fitted ie under the tail cover/pillion seat! Although most alarm fitters depending on the alarm only have a sensor fitted to the riders seat not the pillion seat/cover as the pillion cover is removed by the key locking mech which has lil more security than the riders seat Allan bolts!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sossige

Sossige Active Member

That's exactly what I was referring to, thanks ShinySideUp.

9. RRoss

RRoss Active Member

I've got datatool s4 alarm(default settings)with a charger lead under pillion seat and it seems that as long as you don't make or break the magnetic connection with the alarm active,it won't trigger when charging with the pillion seat off.
    Alternatively fit the lead so it sits behind rear subframe bracket on left hand side,I put one there so I can run a socket into my tank bag for phone or sat nav when away. You don't know it's there and easily accessible,started using it for the charger too as don't have to remove pillion seat.

• Like Like x 1
  10. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Like this.

USB.jpg

11. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

Exactly where mine is, tucks behind the subframe when not in use.

12. Sossige

Sossige Active Member

Thanks anyway, but that's not what I asked about at all. I would like to have it wired under the seat cowl and somehow get past the alarm, as RRoss has alluded to.

13. sinewave

sinewave God Like

Not sure why you're finding this simple task so difficult then Sossige?

If you want the connection under the Pillion seat then put it here, simple.

There's 4 cutouts in the Pillion seat frame that will allow a cable to be passed out to the charger with the seat in place and the Alarm set.

Specific details of what you're finding a problem generally produce a quicker constructive answer I find?

14. Sossige

Sossige Active Member

Thanks Sinewave. I'm asking for advice because as I said in my first post, I'd like to put it under the pillion seat - but my dealer has advised me that the alarm will go off all the time the pillion seat is removed.

I was asking if there was a way around that behaviour of the alarm, as RRoss alluded to in the last page.

I appreciate that many people might find it easier to have the Optimate connector poking out the side of the bike, but as I explained, I was hoping to avoid that if at all possible :)

Cheers :)

15. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

If you want to lose the function of the alarm going off every time the pillion seat is removed all you have to do is remove the magnetic tab stuck onto the seat and tape it to the other tab With the wires going to the alarm! (these are the same as the magnetic white blocks found in house alarms, if one magnet moves too far from the other it makes a connection inside setting off alarm)

but i am not quite seeing a problem as you will have the keys with you in order to open the pillion seat just turn the alarm off when you open the boot area and connect the charger job done.

Or am I and others missing something?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

17. Dave V

Dave V Elite Member

Don't understand the issue of fitting the the lead in the places suggested, it's only visible when in use and doesn't "stick out" unless of course you would like to use accessories like phone chargers that require its use so get why you want it in the tail. If so I'd personally fit a second for this purpose.

Now you see it:
    [​IMG]

Now you don't
    [​IMG]

Mines been fitted to the bike for almost 3 years and over 14,000 miles, it's not fallen down to be visible once (unless i've pulled it down to connect the charger) and never had a corrosion problem.

But, I do myself a favour and answer your particular question to the best of my ability.

Like Rross says, if in basic settings the S4 will not go off as long as the alarm doesn't see a different state (open/closed circuit) when it's active. So turn the alarm off, lift the tail, connect the charger, no issue.

I have the s4 myself, was sure his was the case but just checked and it is. If yours however does go off, check the settings so it works like ours or put the alarm in valet mode when you need to, or more radical do whats been suggested with the magnets or even to cut the wire to the magnet and join it so its in closed loop all the time.

The reason why I'd personally avoid this in my circumstances is that the main s4 unit is fitted in the tail, it's amazing how many bikes actually get nicked from people's garages so why would I do anything to disable all or part of the alarm- defeats the object of having one fitted IMO

#17 Dave V, May 24, 2013
    Last edited: May 24, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Sossige

Sossige Active Member

Dave V and RRoss - thank you both. You've helped clear it up, cheers!

S

19. sinewave

sinewave God Like

That's exactly what I couldn't understand!

Why would you have a need to be able to remove the Pillion seat with the Alarm still armed if you're the owner?

You simply lift the seat, connect the charger, replace seat and activate alarm then walk away.

On return you deactivate the alarm, remove seat, discon the charger, replace seat?

What are we missing Sossige in this procedure?? :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Sossige

Sossige Active Member

As you describe it, absolutely nothing :D

But my dealer led me to believe it couldn't be done (fitting the lead underneath the seat without the alarm going off all the time), hence my asking :)

Anyway, thank you all for your replies.