Pillion on a SP2

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by andy1814, Apr 15, 2019.

1. andy1814

andy1814 Active Member

Not sure if this has been asked before but is it possible to squeeze a pillion on an SP/SP2.
    I know it’s not an ideal bike for that kind of use but would like the option. Guessing the rear subframe would need replacing or strengthening plus obviously rear pegs and seat pad?
    Could anyone tell me please, has the SP subframe tapped holes for the pillion brackets.....looks like it has but can’t be sure.
    Thanks for your help in advance.

2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Hi. The SP subframe has holes, but they're not tapped. When owners instal an Akra or other can, they generally tap the holes and fit carbon hanger therefrom.

To be safe, you'd be wise to install a standard rear subframe. I'm only guessing that a standard pillion seat pad would then fit that.

3. andy1814

andy1814 Active Member

Ah right thanks for the info, I feared that might be the case, so the search continues for a standard rear sub frame.
    This could prove to be an expensive mod!

When I take delivery on Thursday I’ll have a look and see what parts are needed.

4. raphael

raphael Elite Member

You could even swap with a mint standard subframe(yours being an upgrade to the other party?) as you could buy an sp pillion version so selling on wouldn’t be a problem.