Plastic arount mirrors cracked!

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by BladeHRC, Aug 4, 2011.

1. BladeHRC

BladeHRC Active Member

Just wandering if anyone elses plastic bits around their mirrors have cracked? I'll take some photos today at some point hopefully, but it is basically the black plastic bits that surround the winkycators! I've not hit anything or clipped anything and both sides have cracks in them!

2. tonyblade

tonyblade Active Member

Blooming hell that's poor mate, not had any bother with mine, hrc like yours, 5 weeks old and hope mine don't go like that!

3. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Had no issues with mine, you may just be unlucky but get a pic up and get onto it with Honda

4. tandbiskits

tandbiskits Active Member

The only thing i have with mine is that the indicator lenses in the mirrors seem loose, you can wobble the lenses around.

5. damodici

damodici Active Member

Im afraid ive heard of this and knew about it before buying a blade, it was one of the things i intended to look out for.

Happened to my mates Blade, he knows somebody elses repsol that it happened too and also a HRC one down London i was going to look at originally had cracked fairings around the mirrors. Its the first thing he said to me, him being him isnt that bothered, he hammers his bikes and just buys a new one whenever he fancies it, but its definately around on a few of them.

Personally with enough digging id say youll find a load of examples and IF it happens to mine ill gather as much data as possible and head straight to trading standards and then go direct to Honda with the evidence. Theyd then have to spend lots of time and money proving theres no issue, either that or supply whats probably only a £100 part to them. what would you do in their shoes?

may sound petty but its obviously a design flaw or production floor in the mold if it 'happens' to a fair few.

6. slowr1der

slowr1der Active Member

if its a known issue and under warranty then take it back Yamaha replaced my R1 mirrors because they started to crystalize on the glass

7. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

You can get all the parts which make up the mirror as separate parts. I will have a look for the part number for you

8. flatstickHRC

3 pfkl968465 cover, r. Back mirror £18.11 (€19.74) ($28.98) 001

4 pfkl968577 cover, l. Back mirror £18.11 (€19.74) ($28.98) 001

9. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

Your bike is a brand spanker isn't it mate ? Take it to the dealer and get it sorted under warranty

10. JM1

JM1 Active Member

They're supposed to do that. It stops them cracking from vibration etc.

11. JM1

JM1 Active Member

That's normally due to the front cowl/mirror fitment bolts being too tight.

12. flatstickHRC

You shouldn't be able to overtighten them as the nuts are capped to stop too much thread comIng through.

Is it the fairing or mirror that's damaged? I can't see them accepting this as a warranty claim TBH.