please help rough idle

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by rosier1uk, Mar 24, 2016.

1. rosier1uk

rosier1uk Active Member

Yes Arthur well I've changed throttle bodies so that's the iacv sensor and tps swapped next up is to replace the throttle boddie adapter plates as 1 side split then put back together check for air leaks and then replace air sensor on top of air box and also map sensor
    See were I go from there

2. rosier1uk

rosier1uk Active Member

Ok quick update fitted new throttle bodie adapters and new o rings (£24 for 4 o rings from dick Turpin Honda) re fitted throttle bodies and new air box checked all cable and tube routing (thanks Wedgie I'll have enough spares in the garage to build another bike.Anyway started bike let it warm till fans come on and did the ecu reset idle was spot on but I'm not counting my chickens just yet as she's a right little bitch has lulled me into false sense of security before so will no better once I get to take her out for a shake down test I'll keep y'all posted

• Like Like x 1
  3. rosier1uk

rosier1uk Active Member

ok chaps
    not good news
    took her for a 100 mile shakedown test yeaterday and the problem still exists still idling at 1.5k and sometimes rising to 2k the odd occasion very odd ocasion at 1.3k so to recap ive replaced throttle bodie adapters and fitted new o rings, replaced whole air box which swaps iat sensor and map sensor fitted different throttle bodies which replaces icav and tps sensor fitted 4 new plugs lubed throttle cables triple checked all fitted correctly ensured no kinked hoses
    I am well pissed off to say the least thinking I'm going to have to get some professional help in to sort it or ill just chuck a cover on her and leave her to rot in the corner of the garage

4. dave d

dave d Elite Member

Have you done the ECU rest?

5. rosier1uk

rosier1uk Active Member

Yes Dave

6. ShinySideUp

ShinySideUp Elite Member

Does the Fi warning light come on in the dash when the bike starts idling faster than normal?
    Have you tried retrieving any fault codes from ecu? (I'm sure I have read the side stand needs to be down in order to retrieve stored codes!)

Not sure how Honda bikes make use of the coolant temp sensor, would need to look at service wiring diagram to see if the ecu uses the feeds for cold starts or if it only uses it to turn the rad fans on and off!

I know cars defo make use of the temp switch to determine how hot the engine is and adjusts fueling accordingly, faulty switch can cause cars to fast idle due to intermittent switch fluctuations and failures at specific temps!

Everything on your already done list hits all the service book repair checklist points for fast idle issues!

• Like Like x 1
  7. rosier1uk

rosier1uk Active Member

Never had an fi light on shiny I was just talking about this yesterday to my brother. I was going to force an error to make sure system working correctly

8. rosier1uk

rosier1uk Active Member

Ok quick update
    Have bike booked in with Honda so they can plug into there computer and do diagnostic checks and a full reset fingers crossed it will either identify problem or reset might cure it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Pgm

Pgm Member

Any luck finding the problem yet?

10. rosier1uk

rosier1uk Active Member

Had Honda do diagnostic test and a reset,report said everything running fine afterwards got halfway home from dealership about 8 miles and the problem reared its ugly head again the report said there were no current faults showing on the diagnostic test so I have an experienced mechanic coming to look at bike on Thursday night
    Well peed off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Pgm

Pgm Member

Ok thanks mines showing similar symptoms having done less than 400 miles from new

• Like Like x 1
  12. rosier1uk

rosier1uk Active Member

If I get any were on Thursday night pgm I'll you no mate

13. Pgm

Pgm Member

Ok cheers

14. Gilmourr

Gilmourr Active Member

Very old thread but..... did you get to the bottom of your issue?
    Cheers.

15. Boothman

Boothman Elite Member

I wouldn’t hold your breath on a reply as @Pgm hasn’t been on the forum in 3 years nearly

• Like Like x 1