Positivity posts

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by mk3golfcab, Nov 30, 2019.

1. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

Agreed, there are some truly admirable and inspirational guys on here, not many people open up to their experiences, I personally find it harder to open up face-to-face and the anonymity of being behind a keyboard, wether that’s here, via, text of whatever helps me talk.

I never intended to pull the forum into some kind of mental health counselling session, and I’m sorry if these posts have offended anyone. But I’m so glad people have been able to use them, to outline their own issues they have faced either at present or in the past and it shows anyone who maybe struggling and that they are alone, or that nobody else has felt that way that they have, there is light at the end of the tunnel and there are more options available than living with it or suicide.

I’ve just finished my last counselling session for this year after starting in February and I have been reminded of the long path I’ve been on. The big black dog is quite away away from the door (I hope it stays that way).

My PM box is open at any time for any member who wants to chat/vent/ask any questions. I’m 100% open and 100% honest about my experiences like everyone else here has been.

Take care of yourselves all!

• Like Like x 8
  2. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

The whole "suicide is selfish" line always annoys me too. I'll make an exception in certain cases though....Epstein for instance.

Some great posts here.

3. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

I've never had any experiance with suicide but got the news through from a friend at the weekend that a guy I knew took his own life. He lived about 5 doors up from my mate who is the kind of person who's door is always open, speaks his mind on how he sees things and will argue the toss with you but will always help you no matter what. I only say that as I dont understand why he didnt reach out for help but without knowing what his mind was going through who am I to question what he was going through.

4. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Many don't understand the same point. Various scenarios apply to different mindsets.

Some will feel shame in themselves and not want to be seen as a 'nutter' by their friends and family;

Some do not want to be a burden on others with their problems;

Some won't even admit or concede they have a problem, but rather, think that others are 'out to get them' or similar;

As previously mentioned, some think they are actually helping others by 'removing' themselves from selected family/friends circles.

The difficulties faced by family and friends when they are close to a depressed person is that the depressed person is convincing enough to assure family/friends that they are quite okay. This is evidenced by the frequent cries of: He/she was alright when we saw him/her yesterday.

The only way that this depressive illness can be combated is if the depressed person can/will admit they're having trouble and then seek appropriate help. And therein lies the difficulty.

5. mk3golfcab

mk3golfcab Elite Member

Just going to resurrect this thread.

It’s a tough time for us all, mental health is going to deteriorate. I’m here for anyone that needs it. Please feel free to drop a message into my inbox, happy to pass over my mobile number if needed.

I’m also running a Facebook group to support my local area but anyone is welcome.
    Be safe, take care, be strong.

• Like Like x 9
  6. Gravel trap

Gravel trap Senior Member

our 14 year old recently took a stack of pills. she had been self harming for a nearly 2 years. we had her in councling and did all we could all the time. if im honest she became nearly a full time job. she's a grade a student ect her dad's a prick but I've been step dad since she was 2 and have always done my best . we arnt rich but she's clothes nice house private school as one she was in had bullying which we thought was the problem . she goes on all the school and air cadet trips she wants and still she thinks life is shit and it's no point. all the medical professionals she sees tell her to get off her phone and sleep correctly. she just won't. the sodding social media world is everything to teenagers these idiots on you tube with huge houses living privileged lives or telling people how to look all the time. you take her phone it's the end of the world she begs for it or slams around the house. anyway shes ok and we carry on trying to support as best we can and take advice from the professionals. you never know who may be suffering it never hurts to ask .

• Like Like x 5
  7. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

Keep up the good work GT! Mine is too young for mobile phones etc but it scares me to death the thought of him being addicted to it. Really feel for you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Nigel H

Nigel H Active Member

This morning I tested negative for a DVT.
    Frankly Corona ain't nuffin' on one of them.
    Feeling very positive as a result.

• Like Like x 7
  9. Spygoat

Spygoat Well-Known Member

I feel positively positive.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. Jez

Jez Senior Member

At my last company the management thought it would be a good idea to send everyone on a Winning Edge course. this was an american style motivation session telling you you should strive to get to the stars, At the session I told them this is why there is a lot of depression. People aim for the stars then fall short and feel they have failed,
    I told them you should look around you for the positive things in your life most are not down to the amount of money you have. This did not go down to well.
    I know depression can come on with no real reason and even when you feel you should not be depressed it does not stop

• Like Like x 3