Posting of personal eBay selling links....

Discussion in 'Forum Suggestions & Feedback' started by MOz, May 15, 2013.

1. MOz

MOz New Member

Whilst were on the subject of forum ettiquette can I suggest a rule that we implemented to great effect in another forum I frequent?

The posting of personal selling eBay links smacks of inviting members of the forum to outbid each other or "compete" for another forum member's used kit. I appreciate this could well serve the seller well but also stiches up other members to potentially outbid each other and in the extreme (especially for those with no self control) could lead to over-inflated prices.

Can I suggest those who want to post a link to a selling eBay auction they are running also add a "buy it now" price for forum members to be able to say "I'll have that".

The buy it now price added must be fairly realistic and not just a "here's my Blade hugger auction, I'll end it for a forum member for £500 posted...."

Thoughts????

• Like Like x 2
  2. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree if we do have a price in mind however some items I have no idea of the value and some items could be a complete one off and are worth whatever someone is willing to pay.
    We are bound to bid against each other at some point but at the end of the day it's expected as we are all buying for the same bike.

3. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

My thoughts are that if a item I want is not going for a price I feel is sensible then I just don't buy or bid. As for members upping the price on Ebay, this is against Ebay rules So i would be very careful for anyone doing this.

I have bought many items from members over the years on this forum for a very good price. Most people will put stuff on here and if they don't get a bite in a few days put it on Ebay as I have also done.

I have not seen any issues arise over the past few years and feel how it has been going is fine.

In the end, if you put up a price or bid for it then you either buy it or not. With Ebay links, again everyone bidding is a adult so if they want to Pay £100 max for a part and it goes over that they do not buy.

Has anyone had any issues regarding MOz suggestions?

AS said in 2-3 years i don't think this has ever been a issue?

4. MOz

MOz New Member

If you don't want to post a forum price for an item or are not sure of its value then don't post the link and let people find it.

Most forum for sale posts are generally impulse buys I reckon. A new exhaust here or other stuff there. Very rarely does anything I actually "need" come up for sale on forums and I generally go straight to eBay to find the stuff.

Forum members selling on eBay is fine and members potentially competing is likely. The point is why should the forum be used as a tool to promote this and make it more likely. It's not fair.

By all means post up a for sale thread, give it a week and then post the link to the eBay auction. The orginal price remains for forum members and if someone subsequently wants it and the auction has more than 24 hrs left to run, then the auction gets finished for a forum member to buy. If a seller is not happy with this, then the link does not get posted.

Just thought it was a good idea and works very well on the other forum I frequent the most.

5. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Think your just setting up a minefield with all those rules mate.

End of the day, something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. IMO ill always try and maximise on something's value if I'm selling and capitalise on something I want to buy. That's my choice to do if you ask me, if you don't like what I am offering or that some one else is happy to pay more than you, move on fella.

It's up to the seller and buyer to agree a price that they are happy with. Simple supply and demand. And by putting rules in place you'll just start more arguments over sale items than what it's worth.

It's a forum 1st IMO and I wouldn't want it to go down a fleebay alternative with everyone falling out over stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alblade

Alblade God Like

I think Moz's idea has merits - its a pre set 'mates rate' for an item -

As a potential buyer you have a choice - pay the 'discounted' buy it now to forum member price or just watch it on ebay and gamble on getting it for less or paying more / missing out.

As a seller you are saying 'I'll see what this goes for on ebay, but I've set a fair price for folk on here to conclude a sale early for a bit less than I'd like from ebay to help somebody out'

Just my take on it

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Makes sense al. But why can't that just be done via a pm and sensible conversation? No harm in making someone an offer or politely saying no thanks if the price isn't right for either party?

By putting rules in place you then have something that can be broken, causes fall outs and bad atmosphere....

Just think it works fine as is.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Slick

Slick Elite Member

The bits I've bought off here have all been this way. I get something at the price I want, (without everyone necessarily knowing the price) and the seller gets his dosh without paying the extorionate paypal and ebay taxes.

Easy peasy

9. phantom

phantom Active Member

if I do sell on forums I try to sell them as a private sale first,
    if there is no takers I then add to the post that it will go via
    ebay.always open to closing it early for other members.

10. MOz

MOz New Member

All those rules?????? Try one!

Add a buy it now price for forum members to the same thread posted to advertise your eBay auction - the end.

Too complicated for you???

11. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Obviously mate! Your higher intellect and commercial awareness has me in knots...

I usually offer something for sale, someone is interested and buys it. If its too dear they pass on by.

But then I'm just simple me ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

If it ain't broke don't fix it

I don't think it's caused an issue anywhere, if someone posts an eBay link I can PM and make an offer, they can say yes or no or negotiate. I can't see any harm really

• Like Like x 1
  13. JM1

JM1 Active Member

On a related note, I have to say I object to people publicly shill bidding on ebay auctions to "help" other members.
    I don't think a few rules within a forum to control buying & selling does any harm, as long as those rules are well chosen.

• Like Like x 1
  14. martinowen

martinowen Moderator
    Staff Member

Can't really expect the forum to control shill bidding, I think this whole selling thing may be taken a bit out of proportion now, there has only really been one issue with the selling page which was the recent event. Which is now done and dusted.

15. Villan

Villan Active Member

I like it fine how it is tbh. It's always worked great for all the gear I have bought off of other members

16. MOz

MOz New Member

No worries. Just a suggestion - no issues with the replies.

17. The.kickboxer

The.kickboxer Active Member

If you want something you are probs gonna look on ebay first anyway. You are in the grand scheme of things overestimating what is TBH a tiny forum of like minded members (or not), after all how many Blades are in the UK compared to the membership number, half of which are either no longer active, only joined for one post (usually a help me or I need) or they no longer have a blade anyway?

• Like Like x 1