Private Message problem

Discussion in 'Forum Suggestions & Feedback' started by kpone, Nov 28, 2012.

1. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Can I ask everybody to try something for me.

Previously, we've talked about the 'Russian Doll' effect when two or more replies to PMs are sent. Rob has tried to circumvent it and it appears to be a built in issue with the software.

I've noticed that sometimes it doesn't happen though which has started me wondering about exactly how we reply to PMs.

There are two methods of replying to a PM. One button, just below the main text box, labelled "Reply to Private Message". This one opens a full message box, like the original one. The second is below that labelled "Quick Reply", where you add your text to the bottom of the other member's reply. I'm wondering if using this box is what is causing the Russian Doll effect.

Could I ask if we could try an experiment whereby we all use the first reply button to see if it cures the issue. If it doesn't work, then we could try the other one to see if that works.

I was having two conversations at once last night with two members and I was getting RSI from scrolling to the bottom of one of their messages but the other was reading as normal.

2. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

I had the same problem. Awkward when at work using the apple products, I find it easier to highlight everything in the box and delete it, the content of the message is still displayed, so IMO it's a waste of effort quoting what the sender has written as they already know.
    If that makes any sense?

3. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah that was Rob's workaround too. I've been just responding by starting a new message rather than replying. I hate it when people just troll through their inbox for past messages rather than look up an email address. My missus is a bugger for it. I can still get emails from her in July with the heading "RE: How about one of these for mother's Christmas present".

I just though if we all tried one way only and it cured it, all well and good. If not, then try the other way.

Who knows. If I succeed in herding cats, I might take a teaching qualification.

4. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

It's ok for a couple of messages, then it goes tits, least I only have to slide my finger, I don't get emails from Gill, she ain't worked that one out yet. Lol

5. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

I've just been ping ponging with Freedom and it doesn't look like there's an easy answer other than the two we mentioned above.

Perhaps we should all just get used to deleting the history before we send. Bad beta testing by the looks.

6. Garyb

Garyb Moderator.
    Staff Member

Pmsl :D

7. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

i dont click on reply, i just send a new message and never had any issues

8. phantom

phantom Active Member

It was happening to me but I always just highlight and
    Delete the quote in the message box.

9. Barney1

Barney1 Guest

Same here ken , bit of a pain in arse , having to scroll down so much ,

10. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

It looks like the above techniques are the best way to deal with it Barn'. When you click in the reply box just select and delete everything in between the quotes before you send it.

• Like Like x 1