Pro bolt - torque settings and suitability for sprockets

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by damodici, Apr 2, 2012.

1. damodici

damodici Active Member

Evening chaps, well the 2012 mods have started in full force, Saturday the newly powder coated wheels were fitted and this week I'm sending the bike in to have new renthal sprockets and a gold chain fitted (going -1 on the front) , along with that happening I thought I'd replace the rather worn looking sprocket bolts and a few other bits like the chain adjuster blocks etc

Anyway, Whilst I guess the general rule for things such as the axle nut may be best to go with stainless due to the wear it will have I wondered if aluminium is suitable for sprocket usage or are they simply too soft and best to go with stainless or even titanium?

I notice on the pro bolt site they state that the aluminium sprocket nuts are a lower torque setting of 44nm, unfortunately I don't know what the standard torque setting is for the steel ones fitted.

Is this something I should just steer clear of and stick with stainless or titanium?

All this is for is to tidy up the back end as new sprockets etc all look nice but with shitty nuts n bolts it's easy to loose the trick look

Ps - what about fairing bolts? I'm currently just finishing up the new design for some race reps to be made and figured I'd tidy them up as well

Yours sincerely

Mr crap mechanic :)

2. Bats

Bats Active Member

All race titanium if you can afford it if not get stainless ;)

3. Rp1

Rp1 Active Member

Standard rear sprocket nuts should 64nm

dont know if that helps you out at all :D

4. damodici

damodici Active Member

Cheers lads, I knew titanium would come up and as suspected the ally ones are well below standard torque settings....not sure what that means but I guess titanium is easier :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

The alloy nuts from probolt do have steel threads (much like a helicoil), all the load is across the bolt and not against the nut, I know many that use them with no problem however I would not like to keep reusing them! IMO your better off with ss or ti, if I were to keep removing them again and again I would stick with ss as ti does need extra care IMO. It's not as super strong as you may think, however my whole bike is Ti race spec and I have no problem with them, blue ti rear spoket nuts for my repsol same as motogp.. :D my 848 has Ti Bi hex sprocket nuts the best you can use IMO.

• Like Like x 1