Professional Suspension Techs.

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by nigelrb, Feb 17, 2018.

1. dainesefreak

dainesefreak Senior Member

Be interested to hear how you get on with RRP. A guy on the Aprilia Facebook page recommended them to me before I became the bain of Griff's life over at AP. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  2. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Bit more involved but our very own Lamb Chop has been to Ktech to have his KTM suspension sorted. Well worth a watch...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Cheers, tuktuk, just absorbed 17 mins of science! We don't know, of course, whether the investment paid off! Presumably so.

4. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Amazing to see the difference in the stroke even off the bike. Would love to take my bike in for that kind of refresh treatment.

5. Robbie

Robbie Active Member

@nigelrb as with the above post, I can heartly recommend MCT in Suffolk, albeit it might be a bit of a treck, but think of the testing miles on the way home ;);)

6. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Mr chops on the ball...

7. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Attended Road Race Performance http://www.roadandraceperformance.co.uk/default.aspx in Coventry today, for their 'ride in, ride out' service.

All great. Definitely noticed on leaving when going over manhole covers etc. Still had the firmness - which I don't mind - but more noticeable was the after effect of bumps; I guess that is the damping component. There is also an accompanying mindset change in that confidence is higher knowing that the bike is set to optimum (with OEM parts) conditions. More than pleased with the result.

I did mention that I'd seen on videos that settings had been made taking into account the rider's weight (fully kitted). To me, that makes sense, because I assumed set-up would be different for say a Pedrosa like 51 kilos to myself at 100. (I don't weigh 100, I weight 60, but my jacket and helmet are really heavy:D:D) In reply, I was told that would be the case if purchasing new springs or shocker, but when dealing with standard equipment, optimum results are obtained by tweaking the settings. For the technically minded my adjustments were:
    Front: + 4 turns preload
    - 1 turn compression
    - three quarter turn rebound

Rear: -1 preload
    - half turn rebound

Got my MV booked in for mid-week next week (pending weather forecast):).

(Thanks to the guys for recommending MCT in Suffolk. Just a tad distant in cold weather)

• Like Like x 3
  8. raphael

raphael Elite Member

What did they charge you Nigel, if you don’t mind me asking? Also how long did they take?

9. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Hi Raphael. Charged 42.00 VAT inclusive. Was there only about 30 - 40 mins, but the tech did get on to it as soon as I arrived. Customer service excellent, even got coffee!

• Like Like x 2
  10. auag

auag Active Member

Last year I had Maxtons put their front and rear on one of my RR7s.
    Obvious different as soon as I hit a pot hole.
    Having my other's done this year.
    £1200 but worth every penny IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bones

Bones New Member

Griff at Aprilia Performance will be quite happy to assist it don't matter the make although the guys are more setup for the ape community. I also use Road and Race performance. These guys have a dyno and do a lot of rebuild work for the BSB teams in the off season. I rate both very highly.

• Like Like x 1
  12. gcon45

gcon45 Active Member

I was in the same boat with my RR7 but am lucky to have a MotoGP Öhlins technician on my doorstep.

I bought an Öhlins rear shock and left it along with my standard Showa fork for him to set up for me.

He had been away in Malaysia for MotoGP testing but was home last week and sorted my suspension.

He modified the shim stack in the fork, changed the springs and oil and did a complete setup to suit my weight.

Really looking forward to getting on the road (and track) now!

• Like Like x 1
  13. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Ah, the old 'friends in high places' trick. How fortunate you are.

There would be no question that your bike is (now) perfectly set up for you. I have no doubt you'll feel the difference.

14. DazzyH

DazzyH New Member

Just to give an option there is also a fella by the name of John who set mine up. REVS www.revsracing.co.uk in halesowen

• Like Like x 1