Pyrenees 2019

Discussion in 'Touring' started by Barstewardsquad, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Got the OK from SWMBO to go and break my touring cherry next year. Plan is for me and my best mate from my Bristol days to go to the Pyrenees for a week, and having seen YouTube videos of some of the roads around there I am more than a little bit excited.

Both of us will be on GSX-S1000 naked bikes, probably not first choice for touring but as we won't be doing huge mileage, we'll ferry to Bilbao/Santander, and we both find them comfortable to ride. Also we will probably use a central base to reduce the luggage we will need to carry.

Luggage wise I will use my Kriega bags from when I used to travel in the UK, probably with a Hepco & Becker plate for attaching them. I also have a small Givi tanklock bag for the essentials and daily bits.

I know there are a few posts on riding in the Pyrenees here so will be scouring them for routes/locations but any pointers/ideas/tips would be appreciated.

• Like Like x 2
  2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

A great forward-planning goal to work to!

I guess @Mattie660 will show up soon!;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Sounds great - you will have a blast. Different directions to head for.

Personally I would head for JACA, with a detour south a bit to AGUERO - an impressive sight up close and not that difficult to get to.

Then the Somport crossing into France - going over the top rather than the tunnel for more twisties. All the way down into in France, and either come back again or choose another crossing to return back.

There is ever so much to see - Pamplona, Zaragosa.

You might also have to keep an eye on the weather. It maybe cloudy/rainy in the mountains, so you can change your plan for the day.

Near Pamplona I remember going to the Sierra de Urbasa National Park - via a winding road that went through the middle of it - wild horses fantastic scenery. Still get the feeling of being wild up there.

There is loads to see - good choice - you will come back an expert !!

Not a bad first effort to go touring ! - I still feel Spain is a bit wild compared to France.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. BladeOfGlory

BladeOfGlory Active Member

An old thread I know, but when are you off?
    My old man and I did northern Spain (Picos de Europa, really recommend if you can make the detour, its v dramatic) and the Pyrenees for two weeks last September (me on a 1989 CBR600F!).
    It’s incredible, you’ll enjoy!!

We crossed the French border at least half a dozen times and nipped through Andorra as well, to tick it off.
    La piedra de San Martin border crossing was amazing.

Sierra de Urbasa was impressive, and Pamplona was a fun city.

If you make it all the way to the med coast the D914 crossing the border is stunning, but not a fast road...

Where are you going to base yourselves?
    We’ve got Portugal booked for 2 weeks this september!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

All on hold at the moment :( I'm out of work and my mate has gone and got an arthritic finger on his throttle hand.

6. BladeOfGlory

Awh man! Sad times. It’s a great trip I’m sure you’ll get to do it at some point. Don’t make the same mistake we did and try save cash by riding the whole way through France... long days and so deadly deadly dull.

7. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Plan is/was to get the boat from Portsmouth to Santander or Bilbao. Both of us to jaded to trek down through France.

8. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

No offers from Ferry company yet if you're just doing a sail drive. Tight buggers.
    Don't forget to fill up in Spain before venturing over any borders.

9. BladeOfGlory

Andorra was the place for fuel! More petrol stations than residents by the looks of it...

10. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

Some places in Andorra were extortionate. So be careful where you buy

11. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

I recal some fuel was cheaper in Andorra but watch where you buy. The more remote the petrol station the more extortionate it was.

12. Iain

Iain Active Member

Petrol in Andorra could be had for under a Euro when I was there earlier in the year.