Quite baffled

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Stevie_d, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

Ok here goes

Last Thursday I go from my house to the girlfriends , she gets on her bike and we go to wetwang for fish and chips . On the way we pass 2 camera vans . One in Howden in a 30 zone and one near Driffield in a 60 zone . Keeping to the speed limit past both vans . Have a nice ride out and fish and chips with the girlfriend . We both then come home and work all week . Today I walk in from work with a nip having come through my front door
    Thoughts while reading the letter , wtf I was at legal speed . Searched for a speed figure in the letter . None mentioned , turns out I'm going to get prosecuted for having a number plate that does not conform to regulations
    I can only assume 1 of 3 possibilities

1) no reflector on said plate

2) no bs stamp or postcode

3) size of plate which is 8x6
    No details in the letter

Thoughts are , how does driving by 2 vans at legal speed limit flag up such an error and which is the more likely law breaker 1,2,3 ?
    And what will I get done i.e. Points or fine ?

Still rather puzzled as never was stopped at any point

2. Muffking

Muffking God Like

I'd be surprised if if photos from a distance proved any wrong doing. On that basis don't admit anything, request photos and decide if you think there is enough proof to suggest a numberplate offence.

3. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

If the technology exists to detect a 1 inch smaller than standard number plate on my bike while driving by either van at 30mph or 60mph I'm gob smacked

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

5. Muffking

Muffking God Like

I'd post this on Peipo, or what ever the site is called as you may well be required to name the rider, but I still think that they would be hard pushed to convict. Play devils advocate for a moment and say that you told them that you have close up photographic evidence of the legal numbeplate against a ruler on the bike, would they really go to court if you threatened to take both the photo and plate to court if they dare try.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

I don't understand how the speed camera van has managed this? And it seems from the road location it's obviously connected with that van.
    The system monitors the speeds & when an infringement occurs the cameras front & rear record the speed vehicle & reg for prosecution. So...has someone in the van recorded your plate & assessed from the photo it's incorrect & why, because that's not the purpose of the vans? Your plate is only a little smaller than standard & usually not noticed or bothered with!
    Or...has their remit gone up, in which case there's a mighty lot of folks on the road including the thousands with incorrectly spaced private car plate's in for a shock!

7. MPJ

MPJ Active Member

What's your GF's plate like ? Have they compared it and thought "that looks naughty.....kerching !"

8. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

girlfriends is a standard plate mine is only 1 inch smaller at 8x6 instead of 9x7

9. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

May be the next money earner . Very trivial not like some that are the size of a cig packet

10. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

I'm just making some enquires about this Stevie...are you letters & spacing correct, as in not those that can foil the cameras?

11. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

The reply back from my enquiries Stevie...seems they can now do it from the vans :(

Screenshot_2017-06-09-11-53-43-1.png

12. MPJ

MPJ Active Member

Does her plate have a reflector ?

13. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Done the crime, looks like you got to do the fine mate unfortunately :(

14. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

Letters and spacing is bog standard , not sure if it's the size , reflector or no postcode . It has a b.s stamp on it
    Don't think it's reflector as my mate in traffic says their police bikes don't have reflectors on

15. T.C

T.C Elite Member

At the risk of sounding like it is a "I told you so" moment, I have covered this very subject in some detail previously.

Not sure if Pepipoo or whatever they are called will tell you anything different given their history of giving out inaccurate information.

16. Kentblade

Kentblade God Like

As usual desperate attempts to make money matey, every other car in my area has illegally spaced letters/numbers, fonts etc etc, they drive around for years and never change, so they are obviously not getting tugged, its the fine/fine and fine again society we have turned into is the issue here, not road safety, shame they don't have their f**king cameras pointed at the drivers hands, if they are that accurate they should be able to see the number they are calling on their mobiles.....now there's a road safety issue everyone in authority is doing little to clamp down on.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. r1monkey

r1monkey Active Member

has your reg number got a number 1 in it ? if it has then it can be smaller than a 9x7 .i have 2 number ones .i.e an 11 plate bike and have gone to the reg plate legal website which states that you only have to have 10mm between digits and 11mm surround from the edge of the plate to the first digit .

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

Yeah it's a 16 plate Steve

19. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

I've wrote a letter when sending the form back

20. Frankblue

Frankblue New Member

Strange, when I got pulled in Scotland last year (just a routine safety chat sir !!) the rozzer measured my plate,too small, and gave me "producer". Change it back within 7 days and visit local plod shop to prove it, get producer stamped and return by post...end of, no fine points etc.