R&G Aero Crash Mushrooms

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by BladeHRC, Jul 14, 2011.

1. BladeHRC

BladeHRC Active Member

Just finished fitting a pair of white R&G aero crash 'shrooms on the blade. They look ace on the HRC (pics tomorrow).

It was near disaster at one point (literally) though. Those that have fitted them will know that you slacken off the fairing, remove the engine mount bolt then put in its place a threaded spike. You then line the fiaring back up and tap against where the spike is to create a dimple so you know where to drill... this is great except with the lightest tap my dimple turned into a two way crack!!!!! AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

Luckily the crack was only about 20mm in each direction from the point so the 28mm hole cutter covered it... otherwise the crack would have probably spread. So my tip is to just tap very gently like your knocking on a door, then gradually tap harder until you can see the faintest sign of where the tip of the spike is. I really didnt tap it hard the first time... hate to imagine how much a replacement fairing is!? :wacko:

2. Nutty Tart

Nutty Tart Well-Known Member

Bloody hell .. lucky or what . When I did mine I just pushed against the pointy bit with the palm of
    my hand till I could feel it through the panel . That was enough for a good imprint

3. slowr1der

slowr1der Active Member

or just put a bolt in with a tiny bit of paint on the end so it marks where you should drill on the inside of the fairing

4. dan.1moore1

dan.1moore1 Senior Member

I found a cool method. Put the bike on a paddock stand, Take of the fairings . set up a lazer pointer at the bolt then refit the fairing and the lazer is hitting the right place to drill

5. BladeHRC

BladeHRC Active Member

These are both good ideas except you have to take the fairing off completely which is a fiddly pain in the arse! Once I found how delicate the fairings are with the spike method, I was more gentle with the other side! LOL

I only took off the three allen bolts on each side, which easily allowed enough room to remove the exisiting engine mount bolt and drill the hole... musnt grumble! :)

6. dan.1moore1

I took the opportunity to give the front of the engine and the headers etc a good clean. Iv only been caught out in the rain once but it was surprising how much grime had got in there

7. BladeHRC

BladeHRC Active Member

I'll be honest... this is exactly what I had in mind but the little plastic clips were making me nervous so I didnt get round to it. I will need to man up at the end of the summer ready for the pre-hibernation clean!! Any tips on the order to take the clips off etc? Not being able to see how the clips come away on the first go is the tricky part!

8. dan.1moore1

I have the full service manual. ill try and screen grab the page and post it for you to see

9. BladeHRC

BladeHRC Active Member

N1 Dan... where does one get such a thing!?

10. dan.1moore1

I downloaded it from a thread on here

here you go , altough some people had trouble with the link working afterwards .. you gotta sign in to a google account to get to the download page

http://1000rr.co.uk/maintenance/119.htm

• Like Like x 2
  11. flatstickHRC

flatstickHRC Active Member

you can get the cd on ebay for a couple of quid

someone on the US forum made a paper template for the crash bobbins which can be downloaded

12. flatstickHRC

Just bought set of White aero ones for my HRC and some r&g black alloy lifter bobbins for swing arm as my old ones were silver.

13. JM1

JM1 Active Member

14. BladeHRC

BladeHRC Active Member

You can get the paddock stand bobbins in white too to match the aero shrooms! :)

15. flatstickHRC

Don't like the plastic ones mate. Too easy to snap the weld off the swing arm with them big ones fitted. People put them on as a crash protector but are anything but. plus Harris stands rip them to bits.

Plus my swing arm is black which is why I removed the silver ones for black.

I just use the little alloy ones as they last beter and are much shorter so less chance of snapping off in a crash. R&g do them for about £8 now.

16. BladeHRC

BladeHRC Active Member

I stand corrected!!! Everything you say makes perfect sense m8! Its great to have forum members that have lots of track experience and are in the know on the finer details! :)

17. flatstickHRC

18. BladeHRC

BladeHRC Active Member

I bought some of those for my street triple... engage well with the paddock stand. I have an old Micorn paddock stand... have they gone pop???

Shuffling a little off topic here (but it's my thread! LOL)... What chain and sprockets would you recommend for the blade? I've had supersprox on my enduro bikes in the past, and always been a Renthal fan from riding trials over the years. Not keen on the colour of the gold Tsubaki chain (getting very picky now I know!!!)

19. flatstickHRC

Micron went bust but someone bough the name and factory so might me making a come back

As for the chain inwouldnt bother changing it unless your racing. A 520 gives more options for sprockets and is a bit lighter but don't last as long as the 530.

If it's just for looks I would just fit a renthal or supersprox and leave the chain (unless yours is worn)

The sprocket is so small on the blade that you can barely see it anyway though. I wouldn't bother personally unless it's worn or your going up a tooth or two.

20. scratcher

scratcher Active Member