RA-H hot start problem

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Ice Doc, Dec 28, 2019.

1. stelwalker

stelwalker Active Member

Had a run out at the weekend after new battery fitted and it seems to be back to normal. start hot and cold no probs so happy days :)

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

Excellent news. Seems as though there are a few dodgy batteries out there! So far so good with my new battery. Hot starts at the petrol stations are no longer quite as stressful (or embarrassing) - still just as cheap though (compared to filling up any of my cars!) :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. stelwalker

stelwalker Active Member

Yeah looked a twat a few times trying to start it, nothing new there like.... Going to keep it on the optimate when not in use and see how it goes. Longer time might go lithium. Safe riding mate :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

Cheers, you too. I've just noticed we joined this forum on the same date mate. Hopefully we'll both share trouble-free motorcycling going forward too!

5. stelwalker

stelwalker Active Member

Aye fingers crossed, still going to take out the extended warranty tho :D

• Like Like x 1
  6. Critter117

Critter117 New Member

G’day from Australia, I have a 2019 Fireblade cbr1000rr and have the exact same issue.

During the summer after a 30 minute ride, I turn it off at the key and it won’t start if I’ve left it off any longer than 10 minutes. It must be something to do with the heat, I replaced the battery but the problem still persists
    I’ve called my dealer and getting it looked at in 2 weeks, I’m generally curious because it starts every time when it’s cold

7. Ice Doc

Ice Doc Active Member

Welcome Critter117 - looks like your first post here!
    Mine was cured with a replacement battery.. but the same issue is just starting to return - although that's now almost 2 years on and I'm firmly looking at the battery again. As far as I can tell the maintenance charger I've had connected when not using the bike for longer than a week has done nothing to preserve the battery. I'm going to try a different brand of battery to the Yuasa YZT7S that it's now had 2 of in 4 years.. When you say it won't start from hot - does your dashboard flash away like a Christmas tree - all lights on doing weird stuff? That for me is the sign that the battery was dropping voltage and causing chaos..

#47 Ice Doc, Dec 8, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
  8. bladey

bladey Senior Member

My 2018 did the same. All lights flashing and no engine turn over. Put battery on charge for 24hrs and started first time. Found out my cameras were operating when they shouldn't as I'd messed up the wiring Duh! so draining the power.

9. Andrew07

Andrew07 New Member

Hi all. I also have had starting problems with my 19rr. It would not restart on hot days after I stopped at the shops or servo. The bike would cycle on ignition. I couldn't hear it cycle on the start button but it would crank over just not run. Found out from the dealer that once the battery starts getting old it wont charge when it gets hot. I'm guessing that there was enough power to crank but not to run the fuel pump. My battery was 18 mths old . I commute every day on my bike to work and it had started every morning and every night without fail even when it wasn't restarting on hot days. . I changed the battery during summer and never had the problem again. One bit of advice that I can share from my own experience is that the oem lead acid battery lasted 18 months. The lithium battery I replaced it with lasted 6 months before I started having the same problems. I now use a lithium battery during winter and swap to lead acid battery in summer as it's not much fun when your bike cuts out on the way home from work on the freeway and wont start again and its 36 degrees !!!!

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Coda

Coda Active Member

Just be aware, if you didn't already know, that lithium batteries don't like being charged below about 5c, they will be damaged. You can discharge them just fine at lower temps, which helps to warm them up, but if you put a lot of current into them when cold they will die.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

Most recommended LFP replacement are only 2.4Ah.
    I consider this too low for every day, all year riding. I switched to lfp over 2 years ago, only put a charger on it once when I received it and so starting problems come rain or shine.
    Lowest winter temperature I rode was 2°c
    I picked a 4.1Ah capacity

12. Coda

Coda Active Member

Did you mean "so no starting problems..."?

13. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

Hah well spotted pal!;)
    Yes I did:oops:

14. Critter117

Critter117 New Member

Thank you for the welcome!
    So the dealer managed to fix the issue, after explaining that I replaced the battery they began trouble shooting.
    They determined that the fuel pump was failing once they noticed the bike could only prime when cold.

They replaced the fuel pump and everything is now back to normal. Just thought I’d make a comment in case anyone runs into any issues, my bike is only 10,000kms old too which is crazy.

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Blade on Fire

Blade on Fire New Member

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum but have been reading all the comments about the hot starts as my 2018 firblade has been doing the same thing

So I took the battery out and cleaned all the metal parts on the battery ie nuts and little square bolt that fits in the positive and negative terminals.
    All I used was GT 85 to clean the rust and dirt off of them, as for the metal bits i had to use a wire brush to clean the tougher rusty bolts, I put it all back again and made sure the bolts were nice and tight oh I also cleaned the metal bits on the positive and negative cables.
    Once everything was put back together I went for a few rides one was 30 minutes stopped my bike switched it off and tried to start it and straight away boom it started like a dream didn't even skip a beat.
    So I thought maybe it's luck I carried on riding 20min pulled over let my bike idle unti it was very hot switched it of waited a few seconds turned it on and boom it started up straight away I did this a few times and my bike starts up so beautifully it also feels less jerky no lag to be honest and it starts up every time without fault.
    Oh I never charged the battery I just cleaned all the metal bits that connect to the battery.
    I hope this helps like it has done for myself

• Useful Useful x 2
  16. Coda

Coda Active Member

On a 2018 Fireblade? o_O

17. Blade on Fire

Blade on Fire New Member

I know it sounds strange mate but they were rustic. Maybe the battery was changed before I bought the bike and used any old bolts I don't know but its clean and works a charm.

18. Spenser Menke

Spenser Menke New Member

19. Andrew_CBR187

Andrew_CBR187 Active Member

I'm having the same starting issue, let me know if Honda ever found the issue

20. FIREBLADE_Silvio

FIREBLADE_Silvio New Member

I bought my CBR1000RR (2019 model) in the USA, got it imported to the Netherlands last year.

I was living in Tucson, Arizona with temperatures going up to and over 40C. I didn't have any problem with starting the bike there, but since I returned to the Netherlands I started having these problems when the engine would be hot, fot example after I stopped to get some fuel. Cold starts always work even when it's freezing outside. I store the bike inside so the temperature is always around 20C when I first start it. After getting fuel and the bike standing for about 10 minutes it starts with some hesitation. However when I go get some food and let it resting for a longer period of time it starts without any problems.

I thought it had something to do with the fuel and maybe mixture, since in the USA the fuel quality is way lower (Euro 89 vs Euro 95/98 here). I read another thread in the Netherlands there was also somebody with exactly the same problem. He found out it was at a specific temperature his bike started to have troubles with starting or wouldn't start at all, and once the temperature dropped down (I believe it was 75C) the engine would start normally again. For him the problem was helped by replacing the whole engine block (I believe it got replaced for an EU engine block). His was a 2005 CBR1000.

Fun thing to mention, this is the only thread I find in the Netherlands and he also imported the bike from the USA. So I don't know if there are people here that also have the same problem and the bike has been imported from the USA? I suspect something with fuel/air mixture on I suppose hot engines?