Race Schools - Ron Haslam?

Discussion in 'Trackdays' started by RepsolSam, Jan 17, 2016.

1. RepsolSam

RepsolSam Well-Known Member

I know i saw some posts last year about race schools..been thinking about Ron Haslam Premier Experience @ £260 if booked before end of month.

http://www.haslamraceschool.com/premier.php

It is however only half day, and wondering if it will be worth it? how much track time do you actually get? how many hours in total..?

Only done 1 track day that was last year - could do with some pointers, as i cant get my knee down - guess maybe to do with the fear of falling off...also wanting to do afew more this year

So what do you think? also any other similar race schools that come recommended?

2. sp1n99

sp1n99 Active Member

As Nike says " just do it". You'll love it and it's well worth the money. It's not only the amount of track time you get it's about the lessons you learn and carry with you into the future.

3. tony lomas

tony lomas Member

Hi I agree do it did the Ron Haslem school last year it was great.the instructor's really help you .lasts for about 4to5 hour great day

4. slasherr

slasherr Active Member

Not done Ron Haslam's school but have done california superbike school and although expensive you learn lots in just one day.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Carlo

Carlo Active Member

From what I hear you get about 30 to 40 min on track. Fuck paying for that.
    Get onto a normal track day and ask one of the instructors to take you out they will follow you and you will follow them then when you return to the pits they will hit you up will all the pointers and other bits of info on your riding for FREE they will go out with you every session if you ask nice a female fried of mine did it at croft last year she went out all day with the instructor even pulling in half way to discus small things then back out on the track well better than filling the pockets of an already rich bloke if you ask me.

On another note a parts lass I know did the ron haslem school last year twice and binned the blade hard because it was hitting false naturals all day and on one corner she had no engine braking and crashed out hard, it wasn't just her bike either her dads blade that day had to be swapped as well because of the same fault, so 2 bikes in one day! they know its happening as well because it was them that mentioned it on the data logging. I would seriously question the quality of there maintenance on the bikes as well

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mad Matt

Mad Matt Absolutely Bonkers Mad...

I agree with Carlo, save the money for track days and free instruction, man the fuck up and get that knee down:D That said getting your knee down isn't all that and you'll soon learn to just let it glide above the tarmac also knee sliders are expensive...

• Like Like x 1
  7. julestys

julestys Active Member

I have been to Ron Haslam Race School and also to the California Superbike School
    Superbike school is much better in my opinion
    Twistof.the.Wrist.II

Have a look at this and see if its of interest

• Like Like x 1
  8. RepsolPaul

RepsolPaul Well-Known Member

Been thinking about the James Witham bike school which you use your own bike. Seems a lot more track time and with great instructors, most champions one way or another.
    And only 15 people per day.

9. Singh1000RR

Singh1000RR Active Member

I've had two friends do it and they both rave about it. One friend did it last year and i'm hoping to do it this year. Its a half day course broken down into 3 x 15min rides. This may seem short but he says that you are pretty tired after all the coaching and riding. The first section they introduce you to the course, track and bike and give you the rules and regs. If you bin the bike - your out. Then you go out in pairs with an instructor. The braking and apex points are marked with cones and the speedo covered. You really rag the bikes and he said he never got the bike out of fourth for the whole session - you really red line it!

The second section they encourage you to go faster and teach you body position and other corrections. You are paired with someone about the same level as you.

The final section is all about putting the above into practice and going as fast as you can.

From my point of view i'd love to do Donno on a bike as its an iconic circuit with loads of history. I've done it in a Lotus track car and would love to do it on a bike. Using someone else bike is an even better idea !

10. tony lomas

tony lomas Member

Singh I agree with what you say great day loved every minute

11. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

Just do a track day, the turn in and apex points are marked with cones too, you can ask any instructor for tuition, and you get 140 mins on track (7 x 20 min sessions) and tracks seem to cost around £110-£160
    I would feel let down with just 45 mins on track :(

12. pete954

pete954 Active Member

I'd get a few track days under your belt to boost your confidence and get some tuition from an instructor. You can't beat track time whether your a beginner or your last names Rossi. Once your wearing your elbow sliders down and your looking for those few tenths then a one to one at a race school may be of benefit.

13. Blade048

Blade048 Active Member

I did the Ron Haslam school years ago. (back then was my first time on track). As has already been mentioned, you'd be better off booking a normal trackday instead and going out with an instructor there. You'll get just as much info/advice on how to improve your riding, more track time and all for less than half the price of the Haslam school.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Dutch Phil

Dutch Phil New Member

For that money you can have a 1-2-1 all day with Mike Edwards. 100% you would learn more with Mike.

I think he does the video thing nowadays too.

15. Jimbo Vills

Jimbo Vills God Like

Mike will cost about a grand mate, not £260.

Want to do a mike day though, everyone who has says it's mega

16. Singh1000RR

Singh1000RR Active Member

...but your risking your own bike? The biggest benefit for me is that its their bikes your ragging and risking.

Cheapest track day bikes are about £1500 for a semi decent one. Then you got to ride it or trailer it down (additional cost).

I think once i'm confident on a track day i'd risk my bike - but the first time??

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. SimonRR

SimonRR God Like

Mate you risk your own bike more on uk roads than on track ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Geordie Rossi

Geordie Rossi Active Member

I've done the Haslam School a quite a few times now - both the Premier on the 600's and Elite on a Blade. For the Elite you get 1-2-1 instruction, with the session lasting around 3 hours. Actual track time varies - average of around an hour. This is my personal preference, as I've also done track days on my own bike but there was always the possibility of binning my pride and joy.

Would like to do CSS - from what I've read and heard you do learn a lot - but bike is not provided as part of course fee, and is extra.

In the end it's down to personal choice, mine is the guarantee of no repair bills !!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. pete954

pete954 Active Member

You can always use a hire bike through the track day organiser, I know Focused Events do them. I would say if you ride within your capabilities and don't try to run before you can walk, warm your tyres and forget about how fast the guy in front or the bloke parked next to you in the garage is your chances of keeping it on the black stuff are pretty good. After all, the thread started with a guy having done 1 track day and by the sound of it needs more time to build confidence. If my understanding is right, The Ron Haslam race school is aimed at people with a reasonable amount of track riding behind them, as the name would suvgest. But I stand to be corrected. ☺

20. Greco

Greco Active Member

I would say/recommend go for a css track day. You'll love it but you rent the track bike for around £300 for a 959 panigale (prices vary). The Haslam for me is good but too far away, half day and not too much time on track.
    Otherwise, as others said, book a novice track day with your bike and enjoy