RaceFit Black Edition - Fitment Issues - 2008 1000RR

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Franbot, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Franbot

Franbot Active Member

Anybody run into this problem....

Its a 2008 1000RR. As the captions say, I cleaned the headers and push the slip-on up until it reaches the stop on the headers. The hanger bolt doesn't appear to line up. I can get the bolt through if I force the slip-on upwards but I have to apply an uncomfortable amount of force and when I have the bolt through and let go it sits at a funny angle and the slip-on is touching the linkage for the rear shock. I have also loosened the bolt supporting the headers at the mid section.

I was talking to John today. Hes a really nice guy and has no problem whatsoever swapping out the slip-on for a new one but he informed me that this is one of the most popular slip-ons they produce and that they all come from the same jig. He suggested that the replacement one might have the same issues.

As far as I can see I have a stock rear shock, linkage and headers and I cant see any visible signs of damage to any of them.

Any ideas?

upload_2019-7-29_20-14-48.png

upload_2019-7-29_20-20-26.png

2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Please don't take this as stupid, but are you sure you have the right product for your model year bike? That just looks too far out to need a minor twist or tweak. Racefit is a damn good product - I reckon you might have the wrong one.

3. Franbot

Franbot Active Member

I know, the quality is unreal. Amazing bit of kit.

My bike is a 2008 and I ordered the 2008. It even came with a sticker confirming that it was Black Edition for the 08 - 13 model blade.

4. Bikeboy

Bikeboy Active Member

Agreed it looks wrong.

5. Spygoat

Spygoat Well-Known Member

I agree with the others, this looks like the wrong pipe. Could be they just boxed it wrong. I would get the replacement John offered and see how that one fits.

6. Franbot

Franbot Active Member

Thanks for the replies lads.

I'll send it back today and see how I get on.

7. Iain

Iain Active Member

That really does not look like blade Racefit - have a look on their website

8. Franbot

Franbot Active Member

This is the one from the website I ordered for an 08 - 11 blade:

upload_2019-7-30_13-4-6.png

9. Bikeboy

Bikeboy Active Member

Even that looks like its touching

10. 1000rr73

1000rr73 Active Member

Sorry if I missed this but you bought it new from them did you? The headers on them08-13 are narrower and that link pipe seems to have a reduction on it, if bought from ebay it whatever then perhaps it has been modified to fit earlier headers? Also, the 14+ footpegs are c.10mm further back so could also be that?

Check the headers also on your bike, make sure haven’t been switched for later or mucked with.

11. Franbot

Franbot Active Member

Sorry lads, just an update on this.....

I've sent the exhaust back to John and he said he is as eager to solve as myself. He also said that he will make me up a new exhaust if i want but he seems sure the new exhaust will have the same issue. He has confirmed that the exhaust is in fact for an 08-11 model.

He suggested that the issue lies with my bike. He reckons that maybe the bike fell on its side before and that the footrest is slightly bent. The exhaust is a tight enough fit with a small gap between it and the shock linkage but as the suspension compresses it moves further away from the linkage. All it would take for it to be touching is for the footrest to be bent slightly.

As far as I can see I have stock footrests and it doesn't look like its taken a bang to me. I cant really see any issues with it.

I also think that I have the stock headers. My headers look the exact same as the ones below.

I personally feel that the issue is with location of the hanger on the exhaust.

Any other ideas on what it could possibly be?

upload_2019-8-8_0-25-18.png

upload_2019-8-8_0-21-35.png

upload_2019-8-8_0-23-54.png

12. 1000rr73

1000rr73 Active Member

It might be in the angle but i reckon that exhaust bolt point does look like it’s bent in a bit. Where are you, perhaps we have a local member who could assist with a swap over or comparison?

13. Franbot

Franbot Active Member

I suppose it does a bit in the last photo.

I'm based in Dublin unfortunately. I'll try find another 08 blade over here and maybe take a measurement from some reference point with a vernier calipers.

Thanks.

14. 1000rr73

1000rr73 Active Member

Perhaps measure the distance from the inside of that flange to the swing arm and see if someone here can do a comparison measure. I’ll be back on sunday so if no-one able to help before then. Failing that, if you don’t find anyone local I’m sure I have a spare footrest in the shed, I could always post it for you to compare. All you’d have to do is cover the cheapest post we could find.

• Like Like x 1
  15. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

and you can ask @Spygoat for postal quotes.:D:D:eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Franbot

Franbot Active Member

Thanks, I'll do it tomorrow and markup a photo. Appreciate the help, Sunday is grand, no panic.

17. Franbot

Franbot Active Member

Probably not to most accurate way but I had to use a steel rule.

I placed the rule halfway down the circumference of the hanger and kept it flush and pushed the rule towards the swingarm until it touched it. I make it 38mm to the outside of the hanger.

Don't mind the photo. The angle makes it look like 40 but i checked it a few times while not taking a photo.

upload_2019-8-11_20-48-7.png

18. Spygoat

Spygoat Well-Known Member

At your service!

19. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Here’s an easy fix for you! Put a 5mm spacer behind each footrest bolt

They come as standard with the akra set up and would stop the exhaust touching the suspension link

• Like Like x 2
  20. Franbot

Franbot Active Member

Thanks, I was talking to John and he said he will machine me up some spacers and ship the exhaust back. I'll give it a shot and see how I get on.