Racefit Exhaust: O2 eliminator needed?

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by David Phee, Oct 1, 2020.

1. David Phee

David Phee New Member

Evening All,

Another FNG here and I apologise if this question has been asked before I have searched but cannot find the answer. I have fitted the race fit exhaust to my RR8 and have disconnected the O2 sensor, my question is do I have to get the ECU flashed, buy an O2 eliminator or just ride with the engine management light on?

Im a new rider so any and all help is appreciated.

2. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Hi David.....I had a Racefit Growler 2 fitted to my 2009. I didn't disconnect the 02 sensor.

When you removed the standard exhaust silencer you would have had to disconnect the cable from the exhaust servo located under the seat. As long as you wind the servo wheel back to its start position afterwards the engine management light should go out.

You can leave it as is then or fit a servo eliminator. It might 'hunt' a little on idle but when riding mine was fine. ;)

3. Muffking

Muffking God Like

4. David Phee

David Phee New Member

Hi mate,

I appreciate you taking the time out to answer! I will have a go at winding it back in. She already likes to hunt on idle, so hopefully, it doesn't get worse.

5. David Phee

David Phee New Member

6. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

David if you need an O2 Eliminator I'm sure I've got a spare one in the garage. I will send it you free of charge. Just let me know if you need it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. martin_deyanov

martin_deyanov Active Member

Do not confuse disconnecting the servo with disconnecting the O2 sensor. The hunting on idle is to be expected with any aftermarket slip-on, unless you flash the ECU and tune it.

Regarding the servo motor - you have 2 options: 1 - leave the motor in place and plugged in, with the cables removed or 2 - purchase a "servo buddy" (ebay) - a small circuit that tricks the ECU into thinking the servo motor is still in place. Both options should result in no engine check light.

Removing the lambda (O2) sensor - 1 - purchase a lambda eliminator as suggested by Muffking or 2 - go the cheap way and just use a 330 Ohm resistor across 2 of the wires on the harness plug (this is essentially what the Ebay lambda eliminator is - a plug with a resistor built in) Let me know if you want to try and I will look up which 2 wires need to be bridged by the resistor.

Both of the above should not result in any drive-ability issues whatsoever, besides the hunting on idle. If you do decide to flash your ECU they can fix the hunting as well as disable the O2 sensor and Servo motor in the ECU itself, eliminating the need for any plug-in mods.

Cheers.

8. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

While we are on the subject, I'm about put my standard exhaust back on my 2018 SP. Now when I removed it there are actually two cables connecting the exhaust flapper and the servo.

What I'm trying to work out is......when I put the standard exhaust back on, can I do so without connecting either of the cables or (single cable) as you can with the earlier models?

On earlier models the flapper is spring loaded so the servo is pulling it open. On my 18 is one cable pulling it open and the other cable pulling it shut ?this has just put a little doubt in my mind as to whether the flapper will be permanently open with both cables removed.:rolleyes:

9. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Turns out it does stay open ;)
    20201011_125429.jpg 20201011_141600.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

Daavid your original question was about the O2 sensor. Get an O2 eliminator if possible to clear the engine check light. I presume the eliminator is a resistor that goes in the O2 heater circuit to tell the ECU that thee is no open circuit.
    BTW that ebay seller description is a source of incorrect info!! Don't believe what you read.
    The exhaust valve motor is a different story. If the servo motor is out of position, you will get the check light. Assuming you don't have this feature with your replacement silencer, remove the plastic cover under the seat and turn theoff white plastic pulley so that the clable hook hole is at around 12 o'clock position. That is all.

Can't help you on the hunting idle though. Good luck

11. hitch

hitch Elite Member

With the O2 sensor removed what happens if the engine is running lean? How does the ECU know and adjust?

12. CharlieR85

CharlieR85 Elite Member

I think the mixture is quite rich by default if there is no feedback from the o2 sensor. Sure it only uses the o2 sensor for idle and low rpms anyway.

13. bonjo

bonjo Active Member

Last time I looked up O2 sensors, their main purpose is to protect the cat by not allowing over rich mixture containing unburnt fuel to hit it an burning up on the cat which already runs at high temperatures.
    It is a binary device. But removing it means now the engine EFI runs an open loop map. Without seeing this map, it is not possible to predict the fuel mixture.
    Like Charlie, I have also read the ECU reacts to the sensor signal is only at idle, low rpm and perhaps when the engine is cold. But again without seeing the ECU programming, I am not 100% sure!

14. Jez

Jez Senior Member

If you are not doing an ecu flash I would at least go for an ecu reset but you will need 02 sensor in, this will put the ecu in re-learn for the fuel mixture, the ecu will only go about 5% each way but it may help . Why do people fit servo eliminators, all I did was remove exhaust and flapper cables leave the servo to work as normal then no issues then less work to refit std exhaust, also why remove the 02 sensor if you are not fitting a fuel management system