Rant Time

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by nigelrb, Jan 24, 2018.

1. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I know there was a thread just recently about insurance, but how's this.

Emailed MCE this afternoon to advise of a private registration change that I've just acquired. I receive a phone call an hour later with all the security questions, etc, and then I'm asked questions about the bike and registration, all of which I'd stated in the email.

Turns out that I am charged 14.95 admin for changing the plate. When I protested, stating that I'll remember this at renewal time, I am asked: 'Do you still want to go ahead then?'
    I can hardly say 'no' when I've stumped up a few hundred for an 'HRC' plate!!! But then I have to listen to the parrot talk repeating all the Terms and Conditions. I broke in to say, 'I've only changed the number not the policy,' to which I am told, 'I have to do this when ever there's an amendment.' Fourteen minutes it took.

Bring on April for renewal!! :mad::mad:

2. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

I feel your pain Nigel, however.....

I've been with this company, Muff Drive, for several years & they're excellent.
    You could maybe pop a nice floral dress on & change your name to Angela & give them a whirl :cool:

Screenshot_2018-01-24-18-19-30-1.png

#2 Lozzy, Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 7
  3. Kevin1

Kevin1 Elite Member

They are all the same, they all play cover your back. £15 admin charge is quite reasonable these days. I don't agree with it but it looks like a fact of life now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

As usual, Lozzy, you are a wealth of assistance. The Forum is so much better off to have you lurking in the background ready to jump on any opportunity to share your wisdom.

I agree with you about MCE in general, for I have a very good premium price.

Now I'm wondering whether I have inherited some female chromosomes, for I do name my bike: 'Barry Blade' (had to use a testosterone laden name of course!). However, I might have to seek your help if I buy the MV. 'Mervyn' seems obvious, but perhaps a bit of balance wouldn't go astray: 'Merilee' for instance?:):)

Think I'll go take my medication!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. CBRGav

CBRGav Active Member

I Got charged 40 quid by flux when I put my plate on! Bemoto dont charge admin fees tho or for most modifications, so he said anyway. Least after the first year it's not a midterm change

6. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Wow! I got off lightly!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Great Guy

Great Guy Well-Known Member

I don't get private registration. I think you should pay £1000 to change plates.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gravel trap

Gravel trap Senior Member

I left mce and went to be Moto when they wanted to charge me £140. To change direct debit. Be Moto have been great mods and paint job listed and yes more than mce but kit cover and Europe full breakdown. I highly recommend.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Too bad.:) I've just done it again for my MV!!:D

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jez

Jez Senior Member

Being close to the grave brings only minor benefits, one being cheap insurance. i can insure my my blade fully comp for £140 for the year. whilst my lad has to pay £300 fire and theft for his R6 for winter storage and its only 6 months.. his bike is next to mine

11. Cbrjay

Cbrjay Well-Known Member

I don't get why you think people should pay 1k to change a plate?

I just log into my insurance and change any thing any time I won't free, but mines a traders policy

• Like Like x 1
  12. Stevie_d

Stevie_d Senior Member

Just another way of making money. I'll never get insured with mce or carol Nash etc as long as I've a hole in my bottom .

13. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Well, that's a damn firm conviction!:)

The shame is though, Steve, is that MCE do offer good rates. It's only when we factor in these little 'extras' is does the 'good' become 'average' or worse. However, for those who do not make changes, I think they're hard to beat. Note though, that I say this with no experience of having made a claim with them. (I seem to recall you had problems in this regard)