Reaching out to any SP2 owners on the board

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by RC45, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

I could be tempted to cross the poncy southern boundery line for a blast on that...:D

2. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Thanks DF. Just this minute finished nearly an hour on the phone trying to tee up insurance. Of course I knew I'd be hit hard, but some companies wouldn't even insure it because it's too dear. (Huh - what about Goldwings or the 'real' collectors' specials?)

Bit of egg on my face now, because after giving MCE a bashing earlier in the year, their online price beat the lot.

And thanks Lozzy. I might give a bit of a 'report' on it after a couple of rides (dry days only:))

Given that we've both got 2011s, I'm sure you'll be interested to hear. Don't trouble yourself to cross the border though; I'm not renowned for sharing!:D

• Like Like x 1
  3. dainesefreak

dainesefreak Senior Member

BeMoto no good then?

4. tuktuk

tuktuk Elite Member

Congrats Nigel, very very nice!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

How sweet, you think @Lozzy would wait for the OK before hooning off on it!

I take it you have never met her :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I am an excellent judge of people by appearances, UNLESS you're suggesting that wasn't REALLY Lozzy on @PauloHRC's Birthday Card:D:D

7. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Bloody ell Nigel........it's a beautiful thing!!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. hitch

hitch Elite Member

Ooooh that looks sweet.

I'm not jealous at all :(

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Cheers Paul. I sort of feel proud and fortunate that I'm able to acquire such a machine - as well as the few other recent purchases.

Any astute financier knows that bikes offer no 'real' investment value perhaps for the first 20 years or so. I faced a dilemma on retirement. Investment returns are crap, and then we get taxed on any positive gains over a certain threshold. So I let myself loose with bikes that I really loved. Have always liked the MV F4 and the underseat exhaust Blades. Historically, the 04 is the first 1000cc, but reputation wise, the 06-07 reaps a lot of improvements. Nevertheless, both should hold reasonable value should I want to part-exchange on a mobility scooter in 2027 or thereabouts.;) I nearly defected to a Repsol Blade too, but some members will recall a 'curious' interchange over my enquiries for a particular bike.

The SP2 came about out of the blue. I was considering the Aprilia RSV4 RF, but weighed it up with the SP. It was the 'rareability' factor that switched me to the SP2. But I will also enjoy it!!

Anyway, I've reached my limit - both space and financial - and am very happy with my small 'collection'. I won't be participating in any track days, but might one day make a special spectator guest appearance.;)

• Like Like x 3
  10. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Looks very similar to her in many ways ;)

11. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

If I'd got booty like that I'd be on the Ducati forums....not on here with all the old Honda fusty buckets. ...:p :D

12. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Well, I rode it home this afternoon, ahead of about 5 days of wet weather:(. Astoundingly different to my 2011; just seems so light.

The 'throttle by wire' as it is known seems to be not as responsive (initially) as the cable method. It is as noticeable as the difference between a 'quick-action' throttle and a standard. I kept the standard exhaust. Reasonably quiet until 4,000 rpm and then it just roars. I'll do some reading, but it probably has a secondary valve as do the 2008 upwards. It is easy to understand why some tracks have 'black flagged' SP1/SP2 riders over noise.

Will do some serious manual reading tonight. The dash setup seems a lengthy process so far as 'personalisation' goes. For now I'll leave it set in standard mode (haven't even used the quickshifter yet:() save for setting the Pit Lane Limiter to McDonald's drive-through speed.

• Like Like x 3
  13. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Bet you're just going to stare at it in the lounge tonight aren't you??

Can you still see the TV with all the bikes in there? ? Don't forget TOWIE starts again Sunday night and you don't want to miss that!! :D

#53 PauloHRC, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Might need to strap it to some anchor points for when that Gemma bird thunders on :confused: :D

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Finished staring! Took off the rear windbrake and replaced it with my pre-ordered 8 X 6, and stuck on the HRC Scrotum Savers or tank protectors whatever the heck they're called. Damn 2 millimetres out, so that means any pics I put up must discretely miss the rear of the tank:).

Never watched TOWIE, but since PauloHRC seems to be a 'proper' educated lad, I'll give it a shot - if only to see what 'Gemma' is all about!

16. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Enjoy.......

Screenshot_2018-03-23-20-38-24-1.png

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Thanks Lozzy, but I find Caitlyn Jenner more appealing!:D:D

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. dainesefreak

Now we need to see some detailed pictures of it back at chez Nigel.

For me there's a definite noticeable difference with the throttle response over the cable throttle. I've moved my clutch biting point in, but I always do as I prefer short lever travel and I think it helps me modulate the throttle. I've found the modes also make a difference, even though I prefer mode 1, I've played with mode 2/3 for filtering, as it feels a bit less wound up and makes 1st & 2nd a bit easier going.

It feels like the bike is far happier with bigger inputs, more throttle and flicking through the gears than it is trying to keep a steady throttle. Then again Honda have rung more power out of the same unit, so I guess there's got to be some trade off. After owning a few different generations of Blades I think that's the way things have progressed over the years and I'm sure it's the same for the other 1000cc sports bikes. When Yamaha launched the R1 they told us that owners wanted more track performance over road performance and liter bikes weren't the norm any more, they'd become a niche.

So far, and it's early days, I've not experienced any of the problems the press moaned about after launch. It's definitely a less comfortable, more focused experience than my old 2015 Blade, but it's easy enough to ride and comfortable enough for what it is.

19. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Interesting that you mention comfort. I still lean toward the 04 for riding position comfort, BUT the 18 is more of an effortless ride. Dealer had mine set to Mode 2, but with some reasonable road time I won't know whether that's right for me.

It's shod with Super Corsas. Nearly buried my thumb in the rubber when I was testing the compound! Guess they'll be a nice ride, but not a long ride!!

20. dainesefreak

When I can be bothered to fiddle I think I'll go for a user mode that's more or less mode 1 with little to no engine braking. Having grown up on little 2 stroke sports bikes, when I take my hand off the throttle I like to do the slowing down, not the bike.

That's the good thing about tyres, wear em out quickly so you can try something else!