Rear Carbon Hugger, C-ABS models

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by DannyBhoy, Jan 29, 2014.

1. DannyBhoy

DannyBhoy New Member

Alright folks,

Im being told by the dealer that it is a recommendation by Honda not to fit rear huggers to C-ABS models due to a safety concern.

I want to fit a rear carbon hugger to my new SP, they say they can do it but its advised against.

Anyone got one fitted and experienced any problems with it?

Cheers

Danny

2. Andy

Andy Active Member

Did they give a reason for the safety concern ?

3. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

I assume it's to do with the low hanging underseat gubbins of the C-ABS system that might impact on the hugger under compression of the suspension. I know a few people have fitted Honda OEM huggers and have had no problems where others have had them crack.

I'd be interested on other thoughts tho as I have a C-ABS and want a Repsol hugger but don't want to shell out for one if it's gonna get bashed...

• Like Like x 1
  4. sinewave

sinewave God Like

I have an OEM Honda Hugger fitted to my C-ABS Bike and was also told by my Dealer that Honda don't recommend it.

The reason is nothing to do with the sensor cables etc on the swingarm it's because the casing corners over the underseat ABS module can and do hit the rear Hugger on sever bumps or when Two up.

When I say 'Hit' I really mean a light 'Kiss' as mine has 'Kissed' loads of times and has only put the slightest of hardly noticeable cracks on both sides.

Pix below

IMG_0706.jpg
    IMG_0711.jpg
    IMG_0709.jpg

As U can see (or can't see!) you can't even tell can ya?

I have wound the preload up a couple of turns to help with this and I don't carry a Pillion.
    All my 'damage' was caused when Touring with a Shit load of Kreiga on the rear rack and even then U need to hit a few bad bumps or Pot holes to cause any 'Kissin'

IMG_0708.jpg

As can been seen hopefully from this Pic there is acres of room underneath the OEM Hugger so Honda could easily design in two scallops either side on the top of the Hugger to avoid this problem, they just can't be arsed I spose! :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ritchierich

Ritchierich Well-Known Member

Sinewave is right, I've one fitted to my current ABS Repsol and it does hit the under tray on the odd occasion leaving little tyre rub patch on the under side of the hugger.

6. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I have had my genuine Honda hugger fitted to my blade for ABS blade for 3 years without a issue and carried luggage touring and no probs

7. sinewave

sinewave God Like

You obviously weigh far less than a 'Proper Bloke' then Remal! :rolleyes:

8. DannyBhoy

DannyBhoy New Member

That eases my worries then, Can carry on with that order.