Rear Sprocket

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Emywmpb, May 22, 2017.

1. Emywmpb

Emywmpb Active Member

Hi all,

My 2012 Fireblade has stock sprockets and chain, which my user manual tells me includes 42 teeth at the rear and 116 chain links, respectively.

If I decide to go for an aftermarket sprocket with 44 teeth at the rear will I need a new chain or will my current one be correctly sized?

Will this throw off my speedo badly? If it's just a couple of mph out I think I'll leave getting a speedo healer and make do with the inaccuracy.

Finally, what is the recommended sprocket manufacturer to go for?

Thank you all. As always, I appreciate your help and wisdom.

Martin

2. Emywmpb

Emywmpb Active Member

Also, will it need the Power Commander being reworked on a dyno?

3. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Your chain should be long enough for an extra 2 teeth, but you can check the adjuster to see if you have room for the axle to go back a little.
    Your speedo will be out slightly, I forget by how much but a Speedo Healer would fix this this.
    Shouldn't affect your power commander as you're only changing the gearing.

4. Emywmpb

Emywmpb Active Member

Brilliant, thank you. I've seen the anodised aluminium renthal rear sprockets online, but I've seen reviews saying their lifespan is far less than steel sprockets.

I thought that the Supersprox Stealth range was the solution, except I cannot find that brand with 44 teeth anywhere online!

Does anybody have any brand recommendations or experience?

Thanks again.

5. Muffking

Muffking God Like

Alloy sprockets are fine, they may not last as long as steel sprockets, but but are less harsh on the chain.
    I generally use Renthal, but RK are popular too.

6. Emywmpb

Emywmpb Active Member

Renthal sprocket ordered! Now trying to decide if I'll need a speedo healer or not?! Are they easy to install?

7. Dave dunlop

Dave dunlop Elite Member

Your be fine.... I'm running 15 front 44 rear and don't have any bother! Been on that for two seasons and have past plenty speed cameras to know it's not an issue.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. KPH

KPH Active Member

just to add info to the replies you've recieved - it's best if you're changing sprockets to change the chain aswell. If the chain has 'stretched' it could wear out a new sprocket a bit quicker than normal.. I guess it depends on how long you've been running your existing chain and if it's been regualar lubed etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. sulaco

sulaco Active Member