Recommended roads to visit in the UK

Discussion in 'Events, Meetings & Ride Outs' started by Remal, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

cheers mate I'll have a look.

2. dazza

dazza Active Member

West coast Scotland. Did a week touring a few years back with the Fuhrer. Best holiday ive ever had!

3. Givover

Givover God Like

Considering we now have hundreds of biking members how about some more input from all on this fine tread perhaps it can become a sticky due to the importance besides good roads along the line of the quote from Largeviking ,perhaps cafes /bikers hangouts (Devils bridge) springs to mind /camera van position /fuel stops/ it would seem that everbody has a good run but never really strays off it so if i wanted to sample the roads say in north Yorkshire i could get the map out and have a good run, or even better come onto the site and check out the better runs and perhaps meet up mid way with some local dudes .There would be no need to attract other interested parties by useing quotes like flat out in 6th ect so keep it clean .I don't think you need also to worry about turning your patch into the TT as this is more of a border thing or perhaps a route off the motorway if say you were heading from Scotland to say Liverpool .Any Comments?

4. samd1985

samd1985 Active Member

I rode this last friday in dry and warm conditions on my new 2012 Blade! One of the best roads I've ever ridden in the UK and i guess i passed 3 or 4 cars along the whole route.

From my Wales trip last year i found the A4069 from Brynamman to Llangadog across the western side of the Brecon Beacons - this was seemingly re-surfaced last year in that silky, black tarmac and a fantastic route through the National Park. if you visit here you MUST ride it! Slightly further east, pick up the A4059 heading from the A470 (also a good route) down to Hirwaun - this is a fast road and very quiet. You can see for miles down the road over very flat terrain, but just watch for sheep!!

Another excellent route which gives the feeling of being somewhere in the middle of France is the B2141 from Lavant (just north of Chichester) towards Petersfield. Very fast and quiet, well worth riding if you're down that way

Sam

• Like Like x 2
  5. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

See! Everyone thinks I make this stuff up.

6. slowr1der

slowr1der Active Member

I am surprised you don't get more visitors down there to see the 'HAIRY PHEASANTS'......lol

7. Andrew

Andrew Active Member

The coast road from Landsend to St Ives is quite a good one.

8. kpone

kpone Moderator
    Staff Member

What?

Don't they have them everywhere?

9. Blade1000man

Blade1000man Member

I thought the A44 (leominster rd) from Worcester to Rhayader was fantastic. Busy route, but if you can get out on it early it's feckin' great. I went out on it at 6am one Saturday and had miles of fantastic road to myself. Best ride out I've had in years.

10. Julian

Julian Active Member

Ran up through Cheddar gorge yesterday eve, then headed across the top to Shepton Mallet, down through Pilton, across the levels to Taunton
    Have to say the ride across the top of Cheddar is phenomenal, it has virtually no roadside greenery just low or broken dry stone walls which means you can see miles ahead, very fast ride( lots of three figure stuff) with pretty good road surfaces and wide sweeping corners, the levels however are a different story it's like riding on a rollercoaster

#30 Julian, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  11. Julian

Julian Active Member

Kpone this is part of my cycle route, we don't want lots of hairy arsed motorcyclists tearing along it if you don't mind !! seriously though in some areas the road surfaces suck ! i have ridden it on my Blade, as a relatively inexperienced new rider i found it hard going and ended up cruising through, i got overtaken by a guy on an 07 Blade, tried to stay with him for a while but f me he was quick !! will def give it another go when i am more in touch with my bike and the chicken strips are no more, beautiful part of the country though

12. vvtr

vvtr New Member

newtown to crossgates to builth wells a483, a470, a44, back up the a486 machynlleth etc - beltin run but watch out for the unmarked bikes!
    possibly my favourite wales route this. awesome roads and very well surfaced too, apart from a few bits of the crossgates road but theyre well signposted as dodgy and will no doubt get redone this year - the welsh do look after their roads :)

13. Jap_STi_3

Jap_STi_3 Member

Cracking Route. Ex- Chesterfield Lad! ;-)

14. Jap_STi_3

Jap_STi_3 Member

Being a Northern Lad How about

1) A682 from Nelson heading North towards Gisburn. A quick left right onto the Devils Bridge Run Picking up the A65 at Long Preston

2) After a brew at the bridge M6 on at 36 Northbound off at 37 head to Kendal on A684 which is short but FUN twisty. Take Sandy lane on right as you head down into town, misses the whole of the town out turn left then right outside the Duke of Cumberland (Nice scran if you fancy a bite)

3) Then welley the A6 Shap Road all the way to Penrith! Blisssssssss

4) Head to Keswick on the A66 dual carriage way past Rheged Centre. Take a left at the roundabout heading into Keswick call into the Filling Station Cafe for Lunch.

Then the rest of the Lakes is your Oyster.

15. Jap_STi_3

Jap_STi_3 Member

Or you could try this nice little mooch around Derbyshire! Raymondo Style!

View attachment 17800

Theres some cracking back roads to be had that as long as you leave the tractors alone can be really heart stopping buzzers

16. madmac

madmac Well-Known Member

I was gonna suggest that - especially the A537 Cat & Fiddle run (stopping off at the pub is a MUST!) and then on to Buxton, Bakewell and Matlock (Sunday and Bank Holiday is a busy day for bikers there).

Looks like you are close to me Matt - I live just North of Stoke - in Talke. Which bit of the Potteries are you?

17. AOS

AOS New Member

Always fancied a run down the Fosse way B4455 some parts looked really nice for a bike run and some great looking stop off villages.
    Went that way to Oxford but was in the car :(

18. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

The road up through Cheddar gorge is pretty amazing the way it twists and turns! As well as the way the sound echoes through there

19. Pete H

Pete H Active Member

The A689 from Crook to Alston, I love it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. devster360

devster360 New Member

cat and fiddle is a must, although the speed cameras are a pain in the rear now. Grizebeck in the lake district has some awesome roads...and very low population so mostly empty, unfortunately I was stuck driving around them in an audi diesel so could only pretend I was on my bike!