Red Bull or Monster?

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by PauloHRC, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Old_boy65

Old_boy65 Active Member

[QUOTE="Spygoat, post: 466508, member: 6697"]Pure crap..never touch the stuff...but I'm one of those health freaks.
    I see far too many students drinking this rubbish throughout the day. More often than not it's students who do not "react well" to such consumption. I'm also aware of at least one person who has heart issues directly related to drinking these so called energy drinks.... not a student tho!​

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Serves em right for being stupid enough to drink something that tastes like weasel piss :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Robbie

Robbie Active Member

As a slight side to the original thread, I understand Movistar are no longer the title sponsor of Yahama factory team and Monster will be replacing them.

4. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

That's OK @nigelrb we know you don't have to try :p:p:p

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Old_boy65

Old_boy65 Active Member

[QUOTE="Lozzy, post: 466531, member: 3051"]Serves em right for being stupid enough to drink something that tastes like weasel piss :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
    Have you tasted Weasel piss?

6. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Thank goodness someone took the heat off me by asking this:).

Of course it is the logical question to ask after one makes such a reference. The conclusion is meant to infer that weasel piss is a horrid concoction, but, for all we know, it could be better than the finest Jack Daniels!

This is just another form of the common saying: 'It tastes like shit.' Again, if we have not tasted shit, how can we justify such a reference?

Think I'll go now lest I have to weasel out of another problem!;)

7. Lozzy

Lozzy God Like

Have you tasted Weasel piss?[/QUOTE]

Yes....it makes your hair shiny...you should try it! :D

• Like Like x 1
  8. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I thought only beer did that? At least that's what my mum told me!

9. Old_boy65

Old_boy65 Active Member

Yes....it makes your hair shiny...you should try it! :D[/QUOTE]
    I have alopecia :p

10. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Weasel Piss - it is probably a Real Ale - they have some really funny names......

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Now you mention it:

https://untappd.com/WeaselPiss

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Fancy that !

Mate who I used to work with was really into his Real Ales - he would go to Real Ale festivals and try all these different Ales and get hammered ! Some of the names are really funny.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. paul1966

paul1966 Active Member

all owned by coca cola and have miles more money than red bull

14. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

Crutchlow mentioned during an interview that one reason he stayed with LCR was so he could keep his personal sponsorship from Monster.

15. Barstewardsquad

Barstewardsquad God Like

As is Costa Coffee now. £3.9 billion is one heck of a Latte! Maybe Coke don't have quite so much cash to splash out now.

16. paul1966

paul1966 Active Member

my son works for them you would be suprised how much £ they have . they own loads of brands . Also they know how to treat their staff he love the place

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

Got nothing against Coca Cola, and I can imagine that they are good to work for. American corporations often provide health insurance, pension schemes and maybe even share purchase schemes for staff.

Just thinkin - if you look at some of the new models of HJC helmets they have Monster Energy written large all over them. What is the story there - who is paying who - is HJC paying Monster or is Monster paying HJC - or is the punter paying both of them for the privilege ?

Must be some money changing hands somewhere, but I wonder whose.

18. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I'm sure @PauloHRC will jump in on this as he's one who owns such a helmet!

But you're right @Mattie660 , there's money changing hands somewhere. I suspect HJC would pay Monster a 'Rights Fee' for the use of the name - perhaps geared to the number of units sold or produced.

Stretching the point further though, most, if not all of these logos are trademarked/copyrighted. So, in the case of a Red Bull replica paint job, or even Repsol for that matter, is the painter, Dream Machine for instance, paying a fee? This might be no different than a backyard entrepreneur knocking out children's clothing with Disney characters and flogging them at a local Car Boot sale.

19. PauloHRC

PauloHRC God Like

Yeah it's an interesting debate alright, the way I see it is that energy drink logo's look really good on helmets within the racing world, (that's just my opinion) So this surely generates sales and with the amount we see out on the roads this is clearly the case so I would agree, money is definitely changing hands somewhere and people are getting very fat on the profits!;)

20. Mattie660

Mattie660 Elite Member

I think they look good as well with the Monster logo.

Looking the the price of the HJC RPHA 11 helmets it seems the non logo versions are £359.99 and the Drudi designed with Monster logo versions are £469.99 a difference of +£110 to have the logo version - or an increase in cost of the helmet of about 30.55%.

At the end of the day is it worth it - is it a nice looking lid worth the money?

Personally I think it is. The design works well and looks good and I would probably choose the logo version over the standard. The increase in price probably has to cover royalties for both the Drudi design and use of the Monster logo.

Fair enough. You pay your money, you make your choice......