Replaced fuel tank - now bike won't start

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by abz_cbr, Aug 20, 2017.

1. abz_cbr

abz_cbr Active Member

Hi folks, hoping for some help.

I've got a 2010 'blade. I've just replaced the fuel tank (and fuel pump) and now I'm having bother starting the bike.

It's turning over, and was running very roughly for a bit, but now it won't even turn over at all (although I think I've probably flattened the battery now, with my efforts to start it).

I've checked the obvious things like the fuel hose doesn't appear to be kinked, and I can hear the fuel pump priming when I turn on the ignition.

I should say that I also replaced the rear subframe/seatrail since I took the old tank off, which necessitated me disconnecting all the rear end electrics (battery, regulator, starter motor relay etc) but I reckon it's all been reconnected correctly, as there's no CEL on the dash, and the bike was turning over.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Really don't want to phone the garage, cos it makes me feel like a dick...

2. sps170373

sps170373 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sounds like a pinched fuel pipe as you say it's turning over and running I'd lift tank again and make sure you haven't pinched the fuel pipe while lifted try starting again if it runs fine then that's your problem

3. abz_cbr

abz_cbr Active Member

Thanks mate. I've lifted the fuel tank and checked again, but now the bike's struggling to turn over: I think I've drained the battery. With any luck I'll get the battery charged and that'll be it.

4. abz_cbr

abz_cbr Active Member

Still no further forward folks. Replaced the battery today, lifted the fuel tank to confirm no pinches or kinks in the fuel line

Still no luck.

The bike is turning over, struggling to fire, and when it does fire it idles very low, just on the cusp of cutting out. If I touch the throttle, it just dies.

I swapped back to the old fuel tank and tried that, just in case there was an issue with the new pump. It's exactly the same.

So, it appears it's not a kinked fuel line, and it's not the new fuel pump.

Any ideas? It feels like it's a fuelling issue, but I'm no expert. Any help is greatly appreciated!