Replacing the standard steering damper

Discussion in 'Mods, Upgrades, Accessories and Products' started by Andrew, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Andrew

Andrew Active Member

I've found a rather nice steering damper for my bike, not that I've got any problem at all with what Honda fitted, but it does look quite nice and bling.
    I'm torn if I should go for it or not, it's my birthday next week so I'd give it so the misses to let the kids give it to me on the day
    It's a 916 across the headstock style, so would you or would you stick with what's supplied from the factory?

Thoughts?!

2. crin

crin Active Member

If it ain't broke.,,

3. arthurbikemad

arthurbikemad A very helpful Gent

Disconnecting the HESD gives an error some strip down the servo to reduce its size and then stash it under the tank shelter, the problem with the HESD is that it does very little with small throttle openings it's also a little hit and miss as to when it's damping I don't know of any racers who use it on track as in there experience its naff! CastrolCraig/others may know different... If I talk about me then I am happy with the setup of my bike and feel the HESD works well even when pushed BUT let me tell you I've had mine right out of shape a few times, it's on the cards to be changed to an ohlins or RSC hyperpro damper. I would be a lot more happy with a manual damper... The other thing with the HESD is its damping force is very little I know of people who have changed the viscosity of the oil to gain more damping force but IMO best option is to loose it altogether saying all that I guess it depends on what your using the bike for most of us including me should question how hard your pushing in the road to get out of shape for track use and racing that's another matter. There is a thread on here with loads of info about this matter but here is the Honda tech info.
    Honda Worldwide | Technology Close-up

#3 arthurbikemad, Jun 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  4. JM1

JM1 Active Member

If you needed more than the OE damper, you would know!
    What do you mean by "nice"?
    I'd go for GPR if I needed one, but the Honda one works fine for me.

5. scooby

scooby Elite Member

i know of a few club lads that leave it on,but you need an HRC ECU to be able to set it correctly.

that said,i have a GPR on mine as over the years these are what i find work best.

6. wedgiewolves#223

wedgiewolves#223 God Like

Gpr

Fitted GPR to mine loads better mostly used on track has a space to locate original servo no error codes perfect

Attached Files: