REPSOL STRIPDOWN - ready for new track faring

Discussion in 'General 1000RR Discussion' started by Remal, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Ok i have not ordered my Crc Fairing yet but felt in the mood to start taking the bike apart after work this evening for a hour

Having not taken a fairing off before I marked all screws and took pics as I went

What i have done so far

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

Nice work there Remal

Just take your time with the nose cone section mate its a bit fiddly. Apart from that once you take the fairings off for the first time it's a piece of piss.

You always know when u have a toolbox too big when your storing parts in there instead of tools ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

I made room in my other storage areas for some of the stuff that was in my box. I has loads of Detailing stuff in my box which has been removed

4. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

I was the same when I first got the toolbox. I had spare indicators, levers and all sorts in mine till I could build it up the tolls over the space of a year.

Got to say though that toolbox of yours looks the business.

• Like Like x 1
  5. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

Good luck taking off the rear tail fairing. You will think you are going to snap it but just take it slow and eventually it will pop off

6. steveo

steveo Active Member

Good luck with it, i've just done a complete strip down on mine for a re-spray, i did exactly the same, labelled everything and took pictures, TBH next time i wouldn't bother because now understand how all the panels fit together, see the link below which i found invaluable when dismantling the first time, see his front page for all sorts of jobs he has done on his blade, it's worth a look and is even in english

Middle Cowl, Removal/Installation - CBR1000RR8 DIY

• Like Like x 2
  7. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

well done almost, spent 2 hours taking my time taking pics labelling stuff and have only the rear to take apart now

Just a few questions.

taking the side fairing off with Air tubes. they is a sensor, must be for air/fuel ? For now I have removed one of the pipes so I could take the fairing off, What will I need for track fairing?

740395_10151166697027414_1942402384_o.jpg

Also

having removed the front nose with lights etc... I have made sure all the connections I know which have to go where but do I need any of them? I don't what to be removing stuff that will stop the bike from running

738288_10151166696787414_1508066375_o.jpg

740676_10151166696577414_1073981502_o.jpg

8. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Any help on the above questions ?

9. ColinBR

ColinBR God Like

That bell type thing with the tubes going to it is the flapper system so you defo don't need that (flapper mod). You will need to block off the pipe that heads in towards the right hand side of the engine. All I did was fold it up a few times and neatly cable tied it off.

As far as the connections at the front though I have no idea if you need them still there or not.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Cheers Colin, so what does the flapper do? And how may it effect the bike if I blank it off

Cheers for the reply

11. Midrange

Midrange Active Member

May be easier fitting aftermarket air tubes as below.

I think, same as exhaust valves, the intake flaps are all about noise reduction these days.
    Copy of DSC_0434.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  12. fez.57

fez.57 Well-Known Member

This seems to be coming along nicely. when do the new fairings go on then

13. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Mid I see you have a braket in front of the speedo? Was that with the fairing or did you have to buy this? As I said I've taken off the nose and lights in 1. So all the wires came off from the joiners. unsure what I may need to allow the dash to work?

I will be getting air tubes as wellas fairinfg and faz as soon as I have ordered and they arrive.

14. Midrange

Midrange Active Member

Front fairing stay from SES and the bracket at the front of that is for the overflow bottle (tube from fuel tank). The pictures on their site are better than mine!

DSC_0231.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  15. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

cheers for that Mid, Do you need the stay or will fairings fit with the standards mount. from reading on their website seems just a quicker way to fit and remove ?

16. Midrange

Midrange Active Member

I think the mounting points are the same, at the mirror mount location, but the race style brackets, as you say, are quicker as you can fit the DZUS fasteners.
    My fairing comes off completely in about 30 seconds.

17. Midrange

Midrange Active Member

Sent that last one before I was really ready!!
    I meant to say the mounting points are in the same place so I'm sure either std or race bracket can be used.
    I think my standard bracket was damaged when the bike was dropped for it's 'cat D' before I bought it.
    17877871_5X.jpg

18. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

ouch and thanks again

With all the headlights removed and wires behind do i need any of them for the speedo and such like. Or is it just for the indicators/heallights etc.. and not needed with a track fairing?

19. Midrange

Midrange Active Member

I think you just leave the speedo as it is (I think it's just got one multi-plug). You'll be leaving switchgear in place I imagine, so just the lights and indicator wiring to bag and tape up. Sorry I can't be more comitted but I'm not at home so can't go and look! These are the best pics I can find of the wiring at the front, hope they help.

DSC_0229.JPG
    DSC_0230.JPG

20. Remal

Remal It's ME
    Staff Member

Just ordered my fairing and getting a carbon speedo mount,

Steve at CRC said about the tilt mount? between the headlights? Anyone done anything about this? tips?

Also Said that you need to block the air tube for the flapper by the throttle bodies? I have the tube under the speedo, can I just not blank it off there?