Road Crash Investigation Branch idea

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by T.C, Nov 1, 2017.

1. T.C

T.C Elite Member

It has been suggested that we should set up a UK road crash investigation branch operated along similar lines to the Air Accident Investigation branch, Maritime and Rail Crash Investigation units as well.

I can see some merit in the idea, but I need to be convinced

http://www.roadsafe.com/callforaukaccidentinvestigationbranch

2. r1monkey

r1monkey Active Member

If they did .Would it not open up the avenue for insurers to sue councils for poorly maintained road surfaces and badly planned road junctions and signage .
    It seems it would just give them another way to get out of paying on vehicle insurance and then deflect those costs onto councils . i.e us, to pay for in the long run .

3. T.C

T.C Elite Member

That option is and has been available since time begun

Insurers are able to sue councils now. It happens, that is what we as investigators look at currently and I have recommended that a council be sued on several occasions

4. r1monkey

r1monkey Active Member

i get where you are coming from .Would the roadsafe thing only investigate fatalities then like the air crash ones?

5. T.C

T.C Elite Member

I would imagine it would include catastrophic crashes as well, but I can see many disputes arising because the likes of me would be employed to defend a position against a computer geek whose computer says No which will also rais litigation costs big time.

Many civillian crash investigators have never been to a real crash and seen it live. They have no understanding of the dynamics of riding and driving and they fail to take into account the human side.

On the flip side, there are fewer and fewer experienced crash investigators because the courses are not done anymore due to costs. I consider myself very fortunate ti have had the training that I had.

The more I think about it, the more I think that many riders and drivers are going to get shafted big time if they go ahead with it,