RR4 Tacho Fault

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by nigelrb, Apr 12, 2018.

1. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

I meant to query this a couple of weeks ago but forgot all about it until riding my 04 yesterday.

With motor running, the tacho starts from 2,500rpm but won't drop lower. Idle speed is definitely 1,000 - 1,200. Needle returns to zero with ignition off, and on start up will do the usual swing to 13,000 then back to zero. Only on motor running does it stick at 2,500.

Obviously something electronic. Anyone experienced this or have a clue, or is it a 'dealer' job? Cheers!

2. Muffking

Muffking God Like

I suppose the starting point would be to work out if it's the clocks or the wiring. I had a similar issue where the rev counter wasn't working on my track bike, so I fitted the one from my road bike which proved the problem was with the bike and not the clocks. Turned out to be a wire off at the plug for the clocks.

You're welcome to test fit mine if you fancy a ride to Cadwell on 25th, or remove yours and ride over on your other bike as my clocks can be removed in minutes on the track bike.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Thanks for your informative reply. I assumed the clock was okay, by virtue of it returning to zero with ignition off. I should have remembered the old rule about 'assuming'!

Thanks kindly for the invite to Cadwell. It's a 130-mile each way trip for me. I don't think I ride that far in a year!!

Seriously though, great offer, but I'll wait for a couple more replies on here and then consider using my dealer when I get the bike MoTd in a few weeks. Cheers!

4. Gravel trap

Gravel trap Senior Member

When I bought mine it had a recall outstanding on the clocks .go on line and check yours on Honda's site that might solve it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

Thanks Gravel. Did the check and it relates to speedo only: On certain motorcycles, some digital speedometers may experience a computer program error, causing the speedometer to indicate approximately 25 percent less than the actual vehicle speed.

6. Gravel trap

Gravel trap Senior Member

Sorry I could ot remember what dealer said fault was just remember it put back picking it up a week.

• Like Like x 1
  7. nigelrb

nigelrb Elite Member

No probs. Glad for the help. It WAS 14 years ago!

8. Muffking

Muffking God Like

No problem. It could well be the clocks in your case. easy enough to prove when you have a spare. If you don't have any luck then I'm sure I'll be at Donington or Mallory later in the year though.